Front Turn Signal Lamp Out After Replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Turn Signal Lamp Out After Replacement

johnkn

Reaction score
City, State
Laplata
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Platinum
The front right turn signal lamp on my wife's 2017 Explorer Platinum failed yesterday. All (3) left side lights work, and the right rear and right outside mirror turn signal lights all work, just not the right front. I get the typical 'fast blink' when turning the right side on. The bulb looked fine, no burned filaments, and I replaced it with the same Sylvania 3757 lamp, but its still out. The only 'notable' thing right before I noticed it wasn't working yesterday was driving on a small road, no vehicles around, and the accident avoidance HUD alerted for a second. I assumed it was triggered by a heavy tree shadow on the road. When I stopped a mile later and went to turn right is when I first noticed the turn signal failure. I don't know if the 2 events are related. That lamp is also in the only one that does not work when the hazard button is pushed. Suggestions?

thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just to confirm, you replaced it with an incandescent type bulb right? An LED replacement will cause a fast blink on its own. See if the harness that plugs into the bulb is clean and free of debris. Check the harness for any damage or cuts. Try to rule out the simple things first.

Hi, yes I replaced with the OEM lamp, no change,.. the original bulb looked fine with no broken filaments and I buzzed it and its OK, yet replacing the bulb did not fix.

thank you

I'd take a voltmeter and make sure you're getting 12VDC at the harness (with the signals going). This rules out any issues with the bulb itself. Also, before you do anything else, clean both sets of terminals with some isopropyl alcohol and a q-tip. Don't leave any fuzz behind.

Hi, yes I replaced with the OEM lamp, no change,.. the original bulb looked fine with no broken filaments and I buzzed it and its OK, yet replacing the bulb did not fix.

thank you
Welcome to the forum John. :wave:
I agree that you should make sure that there is power to the bulb before starting anything else. I didn't see any fuses indicated in the manual for the turn signal lamps.

Peter

Back