• Register Today It's free!

Front wheel bearing?

JoeMahma

Reaction score
City, State
Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
I'm having this issue. The front passengers side wheel on my Mounty is making a random chirping sound ( no pattern to it whatsoever ) when it gets above speeds around 15 to 20 mph. The noise does not change when the brakes are applied or when turning left or right. I inspected the brakes and all looked good so I cleaned the slider pins and contact points and greased but the chirping is still there. I'm thinking it's the wheel bearing. Has anyone ever had this problem or know if I'm on the right track?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First just make sure the brake backing plate is not rubbing on the rotor. If that's not it, then yes, it is possible the wheel bearing is making this noise. My Nissan Sentra front wheel bearing is doing this right now too. I've been to lazy to change it though and the bearing doesn't make any other noise so why mess with it.

Thanks for the reply. I get a little paranoid about the front bearings. I know two people that lost wheels because they let them go too long. LOL. I think I'm gonna buy one and put it on.

Changed the bearing assembly and the chirping is gone. :D

:thumbsup:

Back