front wheel bearings | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

front wheel bearings

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have replaced mine with HUB-67 on my 06 many times. They fit just fine.

Ok, so my curiosity got the better of me. Per the "more information" data on RockAuto (taken right from Timken's website), there are subtle differences between the two Timken front wheel bearing/hub assemblies (i.e., between 3rd gen and 4th gen). See
TIMKEN SP470200 (3rd gen):

ABS/Non-ABS (Y/N) Y
ABS Type SENSOR
Bearing Type Tapered
Bolt Circle Diameter B (in) 4.500
Bolt Circle Diameter H (in) 4.331
Bolt Size (in) M12x1.75
Brake Pilot Dia (in) 3.226
Driven_Non Driven Driven
Flange (#) 2.000
Flange Diameter (in) 6.299
Flange Offset (in) 1.927
Flange Shape Modified
Generation Type 2
Hub Pilot Dia G (in) 3.350
Roll Form (Y) Y
Spline Quantity 27.000
Wheel Studs (Y/N) Y
Wheel Stud Size (in) 43832.000
Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 3L2Z1104AB, 4L2Z1104AA, SP470201

Vs TIMKEN HA590156 (4th gen):

ABS/Non-ABS (Y/N) Y
ABS Type SENSOR
Bolt Circle Diameter B (in) 4.500
Bolt Circle Diameter H (in) 4.449
Bolt Quantity 3.000
Brake Pilot Dia (in) 3.228
Driven_Non Driven Driven
Flange (#) 2.000
Flange Diameter (in) 6.299
Flange Offset (in) 1.921
Flange Shape Triangle
Hub Pilot Dia G (in) 3.346
Roll Form (Y) Y
Spline Quantity 27.000
Wheel Pilot Dia (mm) 70.450
Wheel Stud Qty 5.000
Wheel Stud Size (in) 43832.000
Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 6L2Z1104A, 7L2Z1104A

Whether the subtle differences make a difference, I don't claim to know.

I sure wish/hope that they were/are functionally identical, since the 3rd gen part is $50 or so cheaper than the 4th gen part. In an abundance of caution, I'm using the 4th gen part for a bearing that is making early signs of failure (132k miles), and saving my WJB HD for the other side down the road, where it will (hopefully) have to last a few less ten-thousands-of-miles!

The timkin ones I linked earlier in the thread ( Timken HA590156) are marked "made in usa". they are $155 on amazon
As for preload, well, I dont have a 200ft/lb torque wrench, I i just took it to the 150 ft/lbs my wrench goes to, and then gave it an extra 1/8th turn.... No issues yet with close to 20k on one and 15k on the other..... I honestly cant see how it could be an issue unless you left it dead loose. The axle nut isn't holding anything together, its just holding the axle in the hub.

I use Timkin or SKF otherwise I feel like I'm replacing them every 6 months. OE is just too pricey

The torque preload is crucial for longevity. You may only get 5000 if not brought to about 190 ftlbs

The torque preload is only critical on the rears, the front do not depend on axle torque. Same wheel bearings are used on the 2 Wheel Dr. version with absolutely nothing in the center hole

The torque preload is only critical on the rears, the front do not depend on axle torque. Same wheel bearings are used on the 2 Wheel Dr. version with absolutely nothing in the center hole
This makes sense to me, and my DAD was an engineer!

Back