• Register Today It's free!

fuel filter replacement

Metallic2001

Reaction score
City, State
charleston, sc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer limited 4x4
I am going to replace my fuel filter but how do I remove the gas line from the fuel filter..is there a special tool i need or something?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, there is a tool that you could buy for like $10 at Autozone. You need it. Don't even try to take it out without this tool as you would damage the clips inside the end of that fuel line.

Where exactly is the fuel filter on the '94 Explorer? My self-help book just said that it never needs to be replaced, which is stupid because everything needs to be replaced at some point.

Originally posted by woodychitwn
Where exactly is the fuel filter on the '94 Explorer? My self-help book just said that it never needs to be replaced, which is stupid because everything needs to be replaced at some point.

Throw the book away... seriously.

Don't think I'm not tempted. But I occasionally do find something usefull which saves me a few hours of stupidity. Now, if someone here happens to also be based on a complete tear-down and rebuild of a '91-'94 Ford Explorer, you're more than welcome to come sit on my bookshelf and I'll toss the book.

For diagram and pictures and such, I guess they are useful but everything else just do a search hear and you'll find plenty of info.

I believe the filter is along the frame right underneath the drivers door (at least it is on mine...)

LOL... thanks, TPLYNCH. He knows where it is. We were discussing if manuals are garbage or useful.
:)

Just follow the fuel line from the big tank on the driver's side. You'll see the filter ;)

He knows, he knows, .... :D

Originally posted by X-factor
He knows, he knows, .... :D

Actually, the question was serious. I mean, I assumed it would be somewhere along the frame, but I wasn't sure where. So thanks tplynch and majisto!

why couldnt they just put the damn thing under the engine....I need to replace my drivers side radius arm bushings so i guess i am going to have to buy the tool to take the line off the fuel filter to get it out of the way

Oh ****! You didn't know. :(

why couldnt they just put the damn thing under the engine

I mean in the engine compartment

Originally posted by Metallic2001
I mean in the engine compartment

Its pretty large, about the size of a 1 lb coffee can. On my truck there isn't that much free space under the hood.

Re: tool for replacing fuel filter

There is a link in this thread:

fuel filter

You mean the 1 lb can of coffee

That is now 11 oz.

Re: You mean the 1 lb can of coffee

Originally posted by Opera House
That is now 11 oz.

True :D

Back