Fuel Filter Replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Filter Replacement

ratlm3

Reaction score
I have a 96 and need to change the fuel filter. Is there a special tool needed to remove the fuel filter?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi,
If it is the same as my 97 Sport, Yes you do need a Special Tool. im Sorry but i can't recommend where to get one, since my Mechanic Gave me his when he got a newer one. Your best bet would be to go to a Parts Store, they should have one in there Speciality Tool Section.

[Edited by CBoug76 on 10-12-2000 at 06:25 AM]

ratlm3,
You can go to a Parts store like manny, moe and jacks and get a set of plastic fittings that you use to unlock the fuel filter connections. You find the right size fitting, and press it into the connector, and it releases it fron the filter. Easy, and the fittings run about $9.00.
Good luck!

------------------
"Don't go where the road don't go." -Ringo Starr

Wil - '92 EB

You can also get it at Auto Zone. WHen you do it, make sure you relieve the pressure in the gas line or you will have a shower of gas. Believe me from experience. All I did was pull the fuse for the fuel pump and crank it over a few times. This seemed to work pretty well.
Matt

I Guess i should have read this Sooner!
I changed my fule filer tonight, and right now I smell like Fuel! oh well i was able to clean up the grease and oil on my garage floor. Good Luck withy our Filter Change.

[Edited by CBoug76 on 10-12-2000 at 06:25 AM]

Back