• Register Today It's free!

Fuel gauge malfunction

jahribar

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 XLT
I have a 2010 Explorer XLT with 136k miles. When I fill the tank the fuel gauge reads full. At about 3/4 tank the needle will dive to Empty. It will bounce around 3/4 tank and just above Empty a bit. For the rest of the fuel in the tank it will hover just above Empty or below Empty with the "Low Fuel" warning light and chime. I tried six bottles of the fuel cleaner additive(Techron I think) and no change in the symptoms. Does this Explorer have a "anti-slosh" circuit board/card? Is it located somewhere in the dash cluster? Does anyone have a part number for a replacement? Does anyone have any ideas other than the anti-slosh part?
Thanks
Jim H

My guess would be the fuel level sensor in the tank or a shorted wire. I found out by accident over the winter that the fuel sensor can set trouble codes with no light on the dash. I remote started the car and the gauge read empty until I put the key in the ignition and turned it on then the fuel gauge came back to the 3/4 mark. The next time I plugged in forscan lite with a obdlink mx adapter there was a code for the fuel level sensor. I don't remember the code because it hasn't happened again. If you have scanner that can do more than basic codes you may have a code to help troubleshoot the problem.

Back