• Register Today It's free!

fuel pump issue on '02 Expy

projectPONY

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Ford Explorer XLT
I'm trying to diagnose a bad fuel pump. I've installed a new engine in my truck and I can't get it to fire up. I believe it's a fuel problem. I was told by the local parts guy that sometimes bad fuel will gum up the filter to the point that it will stop it up. the truck has been sitting for about a year. what I've done so far is I removed the fuel lines that come off the filter and lead into the rails. I then slid some pieces of rubber hoses onto the spouts of the filter and the other ends into a gas jug. I then cycled the key on and off several time without cranking the engine. I get NO fuel spillage. I don't even here the pump when I leave the key on and I stick my head under the truck.

shouldn't the pump be pushing fuel up the lines, through the filter, and into the jug at this point? can the pumps be heard in these vehicles? what should I check next? I'm lost at this point.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

projectPONY said:
shouldn't the pump be pushing fuel up the lines, through the filter, and into the jug at this point?

I wouldn't think the pump would run without the engine running for the same reason you shouldn't prime a lawn mower more than a couple times... But I know squat about engines so I'm probably wrong. Just my 2¢

ok then, can anyone just tell me if these fuel pumps make a sound that I should be able to hear??? I've turned the key and literally stuck my head under the truck, behind the tank and I don't hear anything.

the pump WILL run with just the key on , but not very long (couple seconds) , on my 05 i can hear the pump running , kind of a whinning sound.

you could also put a funnel in the fuel filler neck and listen that way ( have someone else turn the key on while you have your ear next to the funnel) the funnell will kind of magnify the sound for you.

double check your fuses and the fuel pump relay before spending the money on a pump.

disconnect the fuel filter on the fuel pump side tho in case the filter is clogged (and replace the filter anyway)

New pump.relay was cheap so I.went ahead and replaced it. I'll disconnect the filter at the pump side tomorrow.

Back