• Register Today It's free!

Fuel pump not getting power

92Dora

Reaction score
City, State
Stuart, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer
i looked at everything i could think of relays fuses the inertia switch and the fuel pump still wont get any power...any suggestions...im desperate

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the fuel pump gets it power from the fuel pump relay.... does the relay operate???? Looking at things, is like looking at a woman, she might look alright but when you get "down to it", she ain't no good. Get a meter and check for voltage at the fuel pump relay and leaving the relay.

well i tried putting a new relay in...and sitll nothing

untitled-1.jpg

this fuse doesnt get any power and i dont know what it goes to could it be linked to my problem

sorry can't help... owner manual ???? probably in the "right" direction.... remember the meter........

If you don't have a manual, try autozone, they have some info on repair "sheets".... I think there are fuse panel stuff.

edit: yep there are diagrams there.... remember your meter! check for voltage coming into the relay and check to see if it operates.... replacing it "blindly" is unlikely to help you.

The fuel pump circuit will only get power (12v) while the engine rpm >0.. As such you will not see any voltage on on the circuit unless you get a helper to turn the engine over while you test for 12v. Pull back the carpet behind the glove box and find the fuel pump inertia switch (pictured below). Use a meter (or test light if thats all you have) and connect either wire of the switch to HOT, and then ground the meter to a suitable ground. Next turn the ignition key from off to run. This computer should energize the fuel pump circuit for 2 secs (after 2 secs the computer will detect no TAC pulse and kill power to the circuit). So you should see 12v at the meter for only 2 secs, or while the engine is cranking.. I hope this makes sense..
18205Fuel_Pump_cut_off_WEB.jpg

i tried the inertia switch...with the test light on it...it didnt ger any juice...and my truck in a 93

i have one of those im my haynes manual

Back