• Register Today It's free!

fuel pump problem???

stveTa

Reaction score
City, State
Castro Valley ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 limited
New member, with not a lot of auto repair experience.
Problem started with an intermittent check engine light. (light could go on / off a few times in one day) borrowed a code reader. My vehicle has an OBD II port apparently runs OBD I software?? (already in over my head) code reader unable to read and states operating error check connection. the code reader manual suggests checking fuses, ect. I start to check fuses in fuse panel and power distribution box. Pulled a number of fuses and relays. (including the fuel pump relay) then truck would not start (does turn over). I can hear what I think is the hum of the fuel pump on as key is turned, the check engine goes on. Have checked the inertia reset button. Then replaced the relay thinking that by handling it I may have done something to damage it. That did not work. The relay box has 5 male prongs. Are all of them used? In the distribution box it looks like for the fuel pump there are only 4 female terminals visible (nothing is visible in the center slot. Is it possible that a terminal was pushed in?

Which diagnostic port are you using? The one under the dash is inoperative. The EEC-IV/OBD-1 test port is under the hood, driver's side I believe.

I'm pretty sure they only use four leads on the FPR. The one doesn't go to anything. Do you have a wiring diagram (even in Chiltons)? You could confirm with that.

diagnostic port

I was using the port inside the car. (which now explains that problem) I did locate the other port which is at the front of the power distribution box. Any suggestions as to the reason the truck will not start?

No fuel or no spark or both would be my first guess. You've been playing with the fuel pump relay, is the pump running? What is the pressure at the fuel rail?

Are the spark plugs firing?

Back