Full tank, warm truck. No start! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Full tank, warm truck. No start!

tradeattic

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 SportTrac
Almost every time I fill the tank up all the way, the next time I go to start the truck, it just turns over. No fuel pump sound from under truck. Won't start. If I leave the truck alone for 30 minutes to a few hours, it will start again.

If I keep the fuel tank under 3/4 full it will always start. Also, I can drive around forever with the fuel tank full, but If I turn the truck off, I run the risk of no fuel pump at restart. I have replaced the relays, that was not the problem. I am thinking I need a new fuel pump, but hate to replace it if not bad. Truck has never stalled out while driving. Something to do with being warmed up, and a full gas tank.

I had a somewhat similar problem on my '05. Mine would not start after refueling. Also, I was noticing a faint gasoline smell in my garage. In my case it was the fuel vapor purge valve. It is located in the engine compartment, driver's side between the battery and the brake booster. The valve was sticking open, causing the vapors to flow into the intake, basically mimicking a "flooded" issue. But again, mine was specific to not starting after a fuel-up. If I floored the gas as a re-started it would start, idle very rough a few seconds, then would run fine. This web site explained my problem exactly: http://www.professionalfleet.com/la...ehicle_will_not_start_after_filling_with_fuel

Fuel pump does not turn on

In my case, after filling tank all the way up, the fuel pump does not make a sound. So there is no fuel being pumped to the engine, until the engine cools down... Usually 30 minutes to an hour before the fuel pump will fire up again.

Back