FX4 Torsen swap

lonestar

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
lou,ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT, 02 XLS
If someone happens to come across a Ranger FX4 rear end.....

is it possible to swap the Torsen L/S into the rear of an Explorer 8.8.

Maybe, I'm not sure about the spline count. I believe someone here has come across a 31 spline ranger rear axle, they used it to swap the rear end for an SOA.

I correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Torsens where used before 02.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes it can be done with little effort. The FX4 torsen is 31 spline and has the exciter ring for the speed sensor. You can literally just bolt it into your housing and use your axles.

Now, if you are intersted, I have a torsen from an FX4, which I bought with axles, thinking I could put it in my Ranger rear end. The problem is, the FX4 axle has larger out board bearings, so I cannot use it. The FX4, Explorer, and F150 all had larger bearings.

Anyhow, let me know if you are intersted. I will sell either just the torsen or it and the new Summit Racing install kit I have. Email me at tmsoko@comcast.net.

Todd

why don't you put it on your Mounty?

What about 1sr gen. I believe X 8.8's were all the same.

How much are you willing to let it go for? I was hoping I might come across one at a junkyard for cheap, say under $150.

My mounty is my wife's and she doesn't want any "upgrades" done to it, plus I can only afford to modify one of them.

Anyhow, you aren't going to come close to finding one for $150. The FX4 was a limited model in 2002 and for 2003, limited as well with the FX4 "Level II". These trucks are real hard to find. The best price I found axles for from the FX4 with torsen was $650.

Since the Torsen is $500 new and I have the summit install kit with bearings already pressed on, I am going to need around $300 for it. I have over $500 into it now. The axles are not worth much, since they with only work in the FX4, so at $300 for the diff and kit, I am taking a big hit at that.

Let me know if interested. The diff is in excellent shape - probably only a few K miles. Plus, with the all gear drive you don't have to worry about wear out.

I understand, I have priced those new Torsen units. I was hoping to just go to a junkyard and be like "it's a ranger rear axle". The way they price things, a torsen rearend would probably sell for the same as an open diff.

Anyhow, before I spent $400 on a new Torsen, I think I would go with a Powertrax.

Back