Gas guage decided it wants to work again. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gas guage decided it wants to work again.

uh60james

Reaction score
City, State
Fayetteville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport (Dora), '06 XLT
For no apparent reason, my gas guage started working two days ago and is still working today. I had always thought that the float was just bad, but if that was the case I think it would be filled with gas again by now and stuck on empty. Any other ideas what it could have been?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe a wire was grounding out, and now isn't?

The sending mechanism is basically a variable power resistor. It might have bad spots, as well as good spots. If it moves past a certain point, it may not work, then start to work after it gets past that spot.

This is very wierd, I filled up yesterday and the gauge went back to zero and stayed there all day so I thought it was the float. This morning I started her up and the gauge is working again.

our fuel sender units are unreliable crap. mine read way high got a new one from the dealer and had it replaced. after a couple years this one read off by 1/4 tank in either direction. ignore it and use the trip meter thingy.

Back