• Register Today It's free!

Gas Milage info

Jonger1150

Reaction score
City, State
Howell, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
Hey I was wondering if anyone knows the gas milage difference speed makes overall. I am really sick of paying for gas lately and decided to drive slow in order to get the best gas milage. I used to drive 85 just about everywhere. I have a 2001 Explorer sport 2X4 with the good axle ratio (I dont remember what, but I payed extra).

Any charts of info would be helpful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i know that once you go over 55 your gas mpg decreases at an exponential rate. Due to air drag and fuel comsumption.

not sure if there is a chart...you want to drive in the lower rpms to get the best fuel economy. when you feel is shift...speed up just a bit more and keep it there

I have a 2001 Explorer sport 2X4 with the good axle ratio (I dont remember what, but I payed extra).
Good for what? power? mileage? Does it have the towing package? If you paid extra, I am guessing you have a 4.10 axle ratio, which will give you worse mileage than say, a 3.73 ratio. Do a search for axle ratio, or axle code(s). The axle code is on the sticker on the drivers door. Usually, the higher the number, the lower your mileage will be. If you really want to improve mileage, do a search for "Aldive", or "quest for thirty/(30)." He has done a lot of work trying to get 30 mpg, and actually reached his goal. And yes, the faster you go, the worse your mileage will be, mostly because of wind resistance. Someone here once said that the explorer is as aerodynamic as a brick. By the way, what sort of mileage have you been getting? I have a 4x4 sport, and average about 21 Hwy, 16 town. I also have a flowmaster muffler, and drilled air box. Before the flowmaster, I never got above 19 Hwy.

I know that i used to excelerate up to 3000 Rpm's and got about 11-12 mpg. One tank i decided to keep it really lite and not excelerate passed 2-2500 Rpm's and not pass that while driving. It gets very anoying and its very slow driving, always in the right lane; but i did gain 50miles/tank

Edit: I dont drive like that anymore. It takes to long to get where im going..

It's a much nicer drive when you give yourself enough time to get everywhere then you don't have to speed! I use to be the same way and would drive 85 all the time, and speed down backroads and everything and hit hard accelarations until I realized that I was actually in no hurry to get where I was going. I'm also worried about getting another ticket...I just let traffic decide how fast I drive, or if they are going too slow, I just drive 5-7 over the speed limit. As far as my gas mileage, it's really nothing to brag about...I've figured it once to maybe 16 mpg.

Remember that the chart is a "generic" chart and does not aply for all vehicles.

I have a 1999 BMW 540i also, and when I go 75mph I actually get better gas milage than going 65mph.

I did take a trip to South Florida for the first time and did notice that going around 85mph or 90mph I was geting anywhere from 10mpg to 15mpg according to the little computer. I have a v-6 4x4 4 door with trailer package.

In my 540 v-8 around 85mph or 90mph I get like maybe 20mpg to 25mpg.

On my door it says my Axle is (D4). Is this the 4.XX axle ratio? Is that good for gas milage?

Originally posted by Jonger1150
On my door it says my Axle is (D4). Is this the 4.XX axle ratio? Is that good for gas milage?

You have the 3.73LSD rear end. It's comparable to the D2, which is 4.10LSD. You should get a little more mpg since your engine should run around 2500rpm on highway speeds (70mph) as oppose to 2900 rpm at the same speed with 4.10 gear.

Speed Kill gas mileage

Yes, speed kills. Fortunately, if all you do is accelerate moderately and smoothly and obey posted speed limits, you will probably optimize your mileage as far as speed goes. I am sure each individual vehicle has its own aerodynamic downhill point where gas mileage really starts to drop off, but the 55-60 MPH benchmark is relatively universal.

After running exactly 1/2 tank of gas at 60mph I got 21.5 MPG. Not too bad I guess..... I wonder what I was getting at 85 MPH.

I bet my K&N airfilter is helping too.... My car is rated for 22mpg at 55 miles per hour. I bet if I went 55 I could get 23mpg.

Every car on the road can hit 85 MPH. So its no big deal to hit 85 MPH.

Back