• Register Today It's free!

Gas Mileage Help

zyklon2012

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer Sport
Can anybody give me some tips on how to get better gas mileage right now im getting 13 mpg
2002 ford explorer sport premium 4X4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It could be in perfect shape but if you drive like you stole it around town, 13 MPG would be normal.

I have the stock tires on it at the moment 255 r70 16 and nothing but normal maintenance so far only had it 2 weeks air filter NGK iridium sparkplugs and wires oil change 5w30 Motorcraft

I'm not easy on my V8 and I don't get that bad. I average 17 and that's getting on it. If I'm good I get close to 20. IMO something's wrong. I remember my old 97 cammer got 18 or 19 too without too much trouble. These are all 4 door 4x4 trucks. I would think a sport would do even better. I would think something's wrong that you're getting that bad.

How old are your o2's. My 96 was getting 9 mpg and I replaced my o2's and I'm pretty sure it helped (haven't gotten a chance to really test it). Also make sure your odometer is working properly. My odometer in my 96 actually stopped rolling for a bit then would roll again, so it was throwing off my calculation for my mpg.

o2 probably as old as the truck but there not throwing a check engine light so i don't think there bad my buddy ran it on his little ecu thing and it came back good for them but has anyone ever used the GF Performance chip dose it work or is it a waste of money im trying to do just little things at the moment

Back