• Register Today It's free!

Gas Mileage

eltepo

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
"03 XLT AWD
I've been getting about 280 miles per tank combined city and hwy driving. I've been hearing a grind under front driver side. Is there anything in the transnfer case that can affect the mileage? I replaced the plugs, fuel filter, air filter, serviced tranny, front/rear differentials, and the transfer case. How else can I improve the miles per galon? I am thinking of running E85.

'03 XLT 4.0 4WD

I have an 04 XLT and have a similar grinding. I have not yet figured it out.

Check out ALDIVE's 30Mpg rig on this forum for gas mileage.

You will NOT get better mileage with E85 in the tank, however, at about $1 less per gallon, you will see some better economy from using it.

I assumed I would lose a great deal of performance using E85, but was surprised by the solid performance. I did get a few MPG less with E85 (From 18 down to 15 Mpg) but with the lower cost, it was still a worth while swap.

Good luck

JP

I had that grind... intermittently at first. Then the ABS light would come on, then Ford replaced the ABS components/sensors (we had to wait for a code, no was showing). I don't know if this is your situation, but it cured mine. No more grinding.

I have an 04 XLT and have a similar grinding. I have not yet figured it out.

Check out ALDIVE's 30Mpg rig on this forum for gas mileage.

You will NOT get better mileage with E85 in the tank, however, at about $1 less per gallon, you will see some better economy from using it.

I assumed I would lose a great deal of performance using E85, but was surprised by the solid performance. I did get a few MPG less with E85 (From 18 down to 15 Mpg) but with the lower cost, it was still a worth while swap.

Good luck

JP

Yeah, E85 actually burns pretty high. It's surprising... I did a project on this for my Physics class, it burns around 100 or so octane level depending on where you get it and how fresh it is. Just doesn't give the same amount of energy... its weird. High octane but low energy? We don't have an E85 station yet in Augusta. I'm trying to find someone to invest in it, I think it'd make a HUGE profit.

Back