• Register Today It's free!

gas mileage

gakz

Reaction score
City, State
Peoria, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLS
Well I have read quite a bit of threads around the site on this.

We are waiting till the tank is more towards halfway or 1/4 left before we fill it up to find out the gas mileage... BUT I did a quick check and it seems we have made almost 90miles on 1/4 a tank. Does that seem right?

I have the 4.0L v6 with a 22.5gal tank

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes that sounds about right in my 02 v8 i get 100-110 per quarter tank urs will be slight less so that sounds about right

When you fill your tank plum full, note where the gauge needle rests, then check how many miles have been driven when you detect that the needle has begun to move a bit. You may be surprised how many miles went by, with almost no fuel used!

Ford sending units seem to always have been pretty non-linear, indicating less fuel used when gauge reads close to full, compared to usage when down to 1/2 or 1/4.

Just my 2 cents.................imp

Ford sending units seem to always have been pretty non-linear/QUOTE]

I agree....in this day and age it's surprising how antiquated the technology is that's used in this area. These systems are very non linear.

Sorry, but checking gas mileage by tank level indicator is a poor measurement metric. For VERY rough mileage, maybe, for any real data of value, no way.

I did a final check and I filled up 13.6gal and went like 210miles I think it was.. equaled out to 15.6mpg

:(

You guys are so lucky with those newer explorers when it comes to gas mileage... I get about 14-15. And I think it might be because of my exhaust kit that I step on it a little to impress the ladies :p

Well, the brand new Exs will be even better.....with their 4 and 6 cylinder engines and car based chassis. Ford is taking quite gamble by making this move.

Sorry, but checking gas mileage by tank level indicator is a poor measurement metric. For VERY rough mileage, maybe, for any real data of value, no way.

Agreed! Please tell us how we may use some other means to get more accurate results. imp

Agreed! Please tell us how we may use some other means to get more accurate results. imp

Check your odometer when you fill up then check what it's at when you fill up again. Also see how many gallons you put into your truck. Subtract the second number from the first number then divide by the number of gallons you put in. That is the super old school way. You should have a trip odometer that you can use and reset it when you fill up and just not reset it till you get gas again and divide that number by the number of gallons you use. Will give you your mpg's hope that wasn't too confusing.

Check your odometer when you fill up then check what it's at when you fill up again. Also see how many gallons you put into your truck. Subtract the second number from the first number then divide by the number of gallons you put in. That is the super old school way. You should have a trip odometer that you can use and reset it when you fill up and just not reset it till you get gas again and divide that number by the number of gallons you use. Will give you your mpg's hope that wasn't too confusing.

The real problem we all have, is that these tanks never seem to allow you to fill them plum full. If you have plenty of time, you can keep ticking in little bits of gas, wait awhile, nozzle will allow a bit more, etc. At least this is how the nozzles act in our neck of the woods, so each fill-up, you don't really know if you have filled to the same "full" level as last time. Some recommend stopping right after the nozzle shuts itself off, but thyat's proly the LEAST accurate way. Over the long run, many fill-ups, the mpg figures get closer to truthful, no doubt. imp

Burping a bit more gas in the tank will screw up that charcoal canister thing and cut your check eng. light on. So that is a bad idea in a way too. My light is on cause of it now.

STU

Burping a bit more gas in the tank will screw up that charcoal canister thing and cut your check eng. light on. So that is a bad idea in a way too. My light is on cause of it now.

STU

Yep. Just fill to the first click and don't top it off.

As far as accuracy goes, there may be variations in how the gas shut-offs are set at different pumps resulting in different volumes, but it is a small difference. For those who are disturbed by that, you can make a habit of always filling up under the same conditions (car level), and even go to the same pump (I do - it just works out for me - I buy gas on base every Thursday afternoon on the way home from work, at the same pump).

Over time keeping a record of accurate gas mileage is actually a very good 'state of the the engine' indicator, not to mention how hard you are driving it and the difference it makes in mileage (my Corvette is very sensitive to the weight of my right foot, for example).

My Volvo revealed a vacuum leak that would have gone unnoticed were it not for the drop in mpg - a $.50 vacuum fitting and gas mileage was back up by 2 mpg. The before and after mpg records clearly revealed the linkage between the worsening vacuum leak and the mpg which was restored to normal mpg after the easy fix.

That's why I hate full servers they always top it off to the dollar. Its so hard to find some self serves around my house though.

Little off topic but is there a device (im pretty sure there is) that calculates your mpg and show it digitally on a screen. And is the exact mpg that you are getting....so if you were on the highway getting higway miles and hit the pedal to the metal for a second it will show immediatly the difference and then once returned to cruising speed go back? hope this makes sense. I remeber seeing something like this on user kipkay's site on youtube about saving gas its actually pretty cool here is the link...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHAUsGlfbx8

^ what an interesting video Fedy...

can something that can be found in our wife/girlfriend's bathroom supplies, really make that much of a difference ?

then this makes me thing whats the point of fuel system cleaner, or does the acetone effect something different ?????

yeh when i saw this i instantly wanted to do everything he said.

That's why I hate full servers they always top it off to the dollar. Its so hard to find some self serves around my house though.

Isn't full service optional in NY? I thought NJ and Oregon were the only two states where full service was mandatory.

Back