• Register Today It's free!

Gas mixing wit antifreeze

redwarlock

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenixville PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt & 2004 xlt
I have a 2004 Xlt Explorer with a little over 115000 miles. Have been noticing a coolant leak at thermostat housing, and the trail leads back to the intake manifold. Have not fixed yet, just add coolant when needed. Last time I checked the coolant level, noticed the cap was hard to get off, and once off , caught a big wiff of gas. Upon investigation, found gas mixing with coolant. There are no overheating problems and no smoke from exhaust. Oil level is good and no coolant. Is this a head gasket problem? Cracked head? Intake manifold problem. Going to perform a compression test to see if any cylinders seem weak or bleed down. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I had a 6.0 liter F550 that had a cracked head that filled cooling system with fuel. Have never seen this with a gas engine.

Did compression test today and came up with no problems. All cylinders seem good ranging from 155 to 180 PSI. Do these year explorers use a fuel cooler that uses antifreeze? Any advise would be great. Probably going to check intake next to see if there is a gasket problem.

Back