• Register Today It's free!

Gas Pedal Snapped OFF!

Stinger357

Reaction score
City, State
Plano, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer Eddie
has this ever happened to anyone? seems while I was on the highway my gas pedal snapped 3 rivets from the bracket to the firewall!!! I mean the person before me must have had a real lead foot or what! Luckily I was able to make it to a gas station. THANK god it wasnt the brake pedal that snapped. So I was able to drill out the rivet holes in the bracket and get a 5/16 self tapping screw and re fasten it back to the firewall. A bit wiggly but it works for now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry didnt see that...I thought this was a 1 of a kind freak thing, but alas ford has amazed me again with BUILT ford tough. Well no need to bring this up again mod can delete this if they want

I don't think there is a REAL need to delete this thread. This will bring it back to the top, and possibly remind members to check out the bracket on the firewall. I have seen a couple X's in the junkyard with the bracket that showed some obvious damage....

Ryan

Agreed- I saw one at the junkyard last weekend with the pedal broken off...

Happened to me a couple hundred miles from home. Ended up out on the highway using the cruise control buttons to speed up/slow down to get home - thankfully mostly expressway.

I used the cruise buttons to scare the heck out of my kid one day when I wasn't touching the pedal and the truck was in a full on sprint... "Oh my gosh! We can't stoooooop!" :D

I used the cruise buttons to scare the heck out of my kid one day when I wasn't touching the pedal and the truck was in a full on sprint... "Oh my gosh! We can't stoooooop!" :D

Funny!! Cruel, but funny. Someday the kid will want you to pay for his therapy!

you're evil!

Im surprised this wasn't a recall.

This is very common problem, ford has tsb for 10 years od build dates.
Printable View (26 KB)
TSB
00-24-3 ACCELERATOR PEDAL BRACKET - SHEET METAL CRACKS OR FATIGUES AT DASH PANEL AREA - ALL MODELS - VEHICLES BUILT 9/1/1990 THROUGH 7/1/1999

Publication Date: NOVEMBER 14, 2000

FORD: 1991-1999 EXPLORER
MERCURY: 1997-1999 MOUNTAINEER

ISSUE:
The accelerator pedal bracket may become loose or separated from the dash panel on some vehicles. This may be caused by repeated excessive force on the accelerator pedal, resulting in cracking of the dash panel sheet metal at the accelerator pedal bracket.

ACTION:
Repair loose or separated accelerator bracket and/or crack at dash panel. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Refer to Figure 1 illustration throughout Service Procedure.

Remove accelerator pedal pivot bolt and pedal from bracket.
With bracket placed in original position on dash panel, use the two (2) holes in base of bracket as pilots, and drill two (2) holes in dash panel using a 9mm (11/32") drill.
Examine dash panel on engine side for any cracks related to the attachment failure. If cracks are present, clean the surface with a suitable solvent and apply sealant to the cracks, such as RTV Sealant (F5TZ-19G204-AB).
Apply same sealant on the underside of the head flanges and all around the shanks of two (2) M8x16 hex flange Bolts (W500022-S309).
From inside the vehicle, with bracket held in original position, insert bolts through holes in bracket and dash panel.
On engine side of dash panel, assemble one (1) Flatwasher (391982-S191) (7/16" ID x 1.00" OD), and one (1) M8 prevailing torque hex flange Nut (W520112-S309) on each of the bolts. Tighten nuts to a torque of 27-33N-m (20-24 lb-ft).
Replace pedal and pivot bolt and tighten pivot bolt to a torque of 9-12 N-m (80-108 lb-in).
Check accelerator pedal for proper operation.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
F5TZ-19G204-AB RTV Sealant
W500022-S309 Bolt - Hex Flange (M8x16)
W520112-S309 Nut - Hex Flange (M8)
391982-S191 Flatwasher (7/16" ID x 1.00" OD)

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
NONE

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
002403A Repair Of Accelerator Pedal Bracket 0.6 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
7801605 01

OASIS CODES:
111000, 404000, 614500

Figure 1 - Article 00-24-3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright © 2000 Ford Motor Company

Back