Gas tank overflow when filling up at the pump? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gas tank overflow when filling up at the pump?

DaveInPA

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac 4WD
Noticed an odd issue with my 01 Sport Trac yesterday. I went to the gas station to fill up, and you know how pumps work . . .they pump til your tank is full, then there's the click and the fuel stops flowing. Well, I got the click and the fuel stopped flowing, but I noticed a pretty large amount of gasoline dumped onto the ground under the truck, like some sort of overflow is happening when the tank fills. Any idea?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the filler neck hoses for signs of leakage.

Yep, probably rusted through. Check where the smaller rubber return line hits the hose under there. Pull the hose/neck intersection around a little, you'll be able to tell.

Thanks guys. Until I get around to doing something about it, I shouldn't have to worry about gas that's in the tank leaking, correct? In other words, just don't fill it all the way when I gas up and drive happy?

I drove mine for months before replacing the filler neck. It all depends on how rusted it is if that is the issue- mine was eventually through, and the only thing keeping it together was the rubber hose. As tome point it would be a safety concern, so I would check it out to see if that is indeed the problem, then plan a replacement.

FYI- 1aauto.com sells a nice replacement for about $100. They are stupid expensive elsewhere...

My old photobucket was compromised and I lost the pics, but here was my writeup: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277841

Back