• Register Today It's free!

Gas Tank Size

Sbyrne97

Reaction score
City, State
Mason Neck, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
97' Mountaineer
I gots a question, how many gallons should fit into a 97 4 door Explorer i have read around 20 or 21 but everytime i go to the fuel pump i can only seem to get 17 in there which should be the size of a sport :scratch:... so maybe i have a sport gas tank??? hmm any input would be appreciated
Diego

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Explorer or Mountaineer? I only get 20+ when the light comes on and I've driven a while before being able to stop to fill up.

im pretty sure the tank is 21.5 gallons...maybe 21 i dont remeber.

does Person21 have an Ex a Mounty or both?

But his vehicle shows a Mounty. Just curious.

no difference

whats the difference i mean mounty is just a rebadged explorer (did a mounty come with the smaller tank?), but i would think it would have a larger tank on it, it seems even when the check guage light comes on it only fills up to 17 does anybody have the measurement between the two tanks?

It wouldn't really matter to me about the size, but im planning to do the 4406 swap from a AWD 4404 and im looking at an electric shift motor, but in order to clear it one has to get a sport gas tank, and if i already have one (for some odd reason or other) then i wouldn't want to waste money on a junkyard one. Once again measurements would be appreciated

well then...

whats the difference i mean mounty is just a rebadged explorer (did a mounty come with the smaller tank?), but i would think it would have a larger tank on it, it seems even when the check guage light comes on it only fills up to 17 does anybody have the measurement between the two tanks?

It wouldn't really matter to me about the size, but im planning to do the 4406 swap from a AWD 4404 and im looking at an electric shift motor, but in order to clear it one has to get a sport gas tank, and if i already have one (for some odd reason or other) then i wouldn't want to waste money on a junkyard one. Once again measurements would be appreciated

they are different... but your answer was given, 21 for a Mounty. If yours only fills to 17, check the part number and see what's up... run the vin, maybe you got a Mounty made before 21s were used - if that's the case. good luck.

Manual says fuel tank capacity is 20.8 gallons. Repair manual I have says its 25 gallons. I put 22.7 gallons in mine once. Check Guage light comes on to warn fuel is getting low, not when almost empty. My 97 and 99 both take about 17-18 gallons when light comes on.

Back