• Register Today It's free!

Gas tank skid plate

Got pics now.
341353_139_full.jpg

Front crossmember attachment.
341353_140_full.jpg

Rear side mount.
341353_141_full.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah... that is TOTALLY different than mine. And it's a composite plate? I wonder how structurally rigid it is... or is it more of a plate to not support weight but more help you simply slide over rocks or obstacles?

It's a pretty stout piece. I don't worry about it. If you look at the mounting tabs in the top photo, that's how thick the whole thing is. I'd say it's most likely stronger than the sheetmetal piece for the Job 1's.

I think you misunderstood what I meant. I would need specs on the plastic v. steel to decide which is stronger. I have no experience with composite skid plates (save for hearing and seeing a ZX-2 Blazer crack and split his composite plate).... but suffice to say that some skid plates aren't made to park with your truck's weight supported on it. My 'sheetmetal' one is not designed in this way either! :salute:

Well, I think a Trac weighs close to 5000 lb. If you want to be able to support that with a skidplate, I guess you'd have to build your own. For the limited off-roading I do the factory unit is fine. Although I do have a lot of scrapes on the bottom of the fuel tank from before I got the skidplate. :D ;)
Bottom line, from what I've determined here and on the other site, if you have a Job 1 you get a sheetmetal skidplate and if you have a Job 2 you get a composite skidplate, at least as far as what you can get from Ford.

I turned in my Trac on lease and got another one. The skidplate from my old one is in the Parts For Sale forum.

I know this is such a dead thread but im hoping someone can help anyways. I was searching google when i found this thread.
I dented my gas tank a few days ago and had been thinking of ways to rig up a home made skid plate. Where can i find one of these?? i havent found anyone who makes them, are they dealer only parts?

The Job 1 and Job 2 skidplates referenced here are Ford Accessories parts that you get from a dealer or other Ford parts distributors.

Back