Gas tank skid plate

chad551

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
St.Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport Trac
I just got my skid plate for the gas tank, and there is no where to bolt the front part of the skid plate to. I have an 02' and the skid plate is long enough to cover the tank.

So does anyone have pics of the bottom of their ST with or without a skid plate?

Thanks,
Chad

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe you got a Job 1 skidplate when you should have gotten a Job 2 skidplate. :(

Yep I need the job 2. At least the dealer said they would do an even exchange for the new style skid plate, since it is more expensive.

I answered this in the other forum also, but FWIW the Job 2 composite plate cost me about $275 plus assorted small parts.

The dealer is taking care of the difference, I asked about that. Plus that 275.00 price has a HUGE (approx 100.00) markup in it. He told me not to worry about it, they will do an even exchange since they screwed up and did not ask the right questions. Also I found your post as well.

Are these bolts and nuts made to screw into the frame, or are they just generic over priced Ford nuts and bolts?

Part numbers:
2L2Z9A147AA Skidplate (1) $270.39
W505444S436 Bolt and Washer (2) $7.86
W506434S436 Bolt (1) $3.15
W506526S426 Bolt (1) $13.03
W520113S436 Nut-Hex (1) $ 2.28
W520834S426 Nut-Spring (3) $12.06

Chad

I'm pretty sure they're special, at the very least you'll play around with a few trips to the hardware store to find generic stuff that will work. (My time is worth more than that, no offense.)
One of these days I'll have to take pictures now that the weather has dried and warmed up.

How do you know if you need a Job 1 plate or a Job 2 plate???!! I thought the early 01 models (like late 00 born on date) had an Job 1 intake... and after like Feb of 01 or so they were all Job 2's.... is this what you're also referencing???? I ordered my plate (finally)-- it has truly been an ongoing saga of which Ford seems clueless :confused: :mad: as to how to rectify it. The plate they (ford parts) ordered is listed as F57Z-9A147-B. Is there a way I can climb under my truck and make SURE of the one I need. My truck was 'born on' ; 04/01.

No offense but I desperately hope I don't need and/or receive a 'composite' skid plate!!

It's hard to believe this is such a PIA!!:mad:

I answered this in the other forum also, but FWIW the Job 2 composite plate cost me about $275 plus assorted small parts.

It is cool of you to help JohnnyO... plus the long term 'search' function on THIS site will allow preservation of this thread (and most importantly the correct information) for others to search on for answers for YEARS and YEARS. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Douglas,
You will be fine, you got the correct skid plate. That is the plate I have now sitting in my bed, waiting to return when the new unit arrives. I hope you did not pay more than 115.00 plus taxe for the skid plate.

As for the Job2 BS they made several changes to the 02, and the changes took place on March 4 2002. Mine was born on March 20. Even the superlift lift kit has different parts for the 2002.

Douglas,
You will be fine, you got the correct skid plate. That is the plate I have now sitting in my bed, waiting to return when the new unit arrives. I hope you did not pay more than 115.00 plus taxe for the skid plate.

As for the Job2 BS they made several changes to the 02, and the changes took place on March 4 2002. Mine was born on March 20. Even the superlift lift kit has different parts for the 2002.

Dude you have a skid plate in your bed!!! Wow and I thought I was committed to wheelin'!! :D :D Sorry that was beggin' for it! Worthy of addition to your signature block!
Thank you, I believe you are correct; I hopefully have the right one on order. I honestly didn't know that the switch to 'job 2' started that late.... maybe I was confused on other components (i.e., I believe the intake and a few other things are different on the early 01 vrs the late and actual 01 that I have. Good luck with your skid plate, I'm glad you're getting squared away correctly. :thumbsup:

Job 1/Job 2 Date

The exact Job-1/Job-2 date was June 24, 2000. All Sport Tracs made prior to June 24th were Job-1. Everything made after June 24th were Job-2's

I really have know clue when the gas tank changed. I just know my friend TxPlates' 2002 Sport Trac has a different gas tank than mine. Maybe it changed when the 3rd Generation 4 Door Explorers debuted around 2002.

gas tank skid plate instal

I am trying to instal a skid plate on the gas tank. I can't get my straps to rotate for removal, do I need to drop the drive shaft or is there an easier way.

I am trying to instal a gas tank skid plate, I can get my straps to rotate do I need to drop the drive shaft or is there an eaiser way?

I am trying to instal a gas tank skid plate, I can get my straps to rotate do I need to drop the drive shaft or is there an eaiser way?

I am confused by what you are refering to... I am not positive how different the Ranger plates are in installation than the explorer or sport trac ones.... but I don't think there should be a need to fuss with any straps and certainly not a drive-shaft. I know in the sport trac (install help from website below with pics may help you understand what I mean)... removing the rear drivers tire is supposed to make the install easier, but other than that it should just be a jack, some bolts/washers, and the plate. See this website and let me know if it helps you out and/or how yours is different.
http://www.mysporttrac.com/mysporttrac/projects/FuelTankSkidPlate/FuelTankSkidPlateInstallation.htm

You're not dropping the gas tank are you? I just thought about the 'straps' that you referred to and don't know if you mean the straps that suspend the tank in place. Does installation of your plate require messing with the tank itself? Installation of the Ex skid plate is pretty much plug-n-play (just some bolts is all).

The exact Job-1/Job-2 date was June 24, 2000. All Sport Tracs made prior to June 24th were Job-1. Everything made after June 24th were Job-2's

I really have know clue when the gas tank changed. I just know my friend TxPlates' 2002 Sport Trac has a different gas tank than mine. Maybe it changed when the 3rd Generation 4 Door Explorers debuted around 2002.

March 4 2002 they made several changes to the ST, and the dealer said mine was considered a Job 2 because it was built on March 20. So basically there was 2 years (2000, 2002) where Ford made changes and had a Job 1 and Job 2 version.

Hopefully my skid plate shows up today, I installed my Hi-Lift Sunday, and going to try and get my sliders done this week.:eek:

1 week and 2 days until destination MOAB!

It is cool of you to help JohnnyO... plus the long term 'search' function on THIS site will allow preservation of this thread (and most importantly the correct information) for others to search on for answers for YEARS and YEARS. Thanks. :thumbsup:
You're welcome. :salute:

Finally got mine and got it on last Wed. That rear bolt on the drivers side rear frame rail was a bloody pain!! I still need to get the upper nut on it tightened so it won't come loose... no way to hold it in the boxed portion where it is but I'm happy to FINALLY have that sucker and have it on.

I swear it raised the tank bit and makes it hug closer to the bed.... weird that my gas tank only has one pseudo-plastic strap on it. I wonder if I had another one and lost it wheelin' bashin' the tank off of rocks?! :eek: :confused: :D Oh well at least my armor for now is complete.:thumbsup:

Douglas,
You dont need to use a nut and bolt. Just use self tapping bolts, most of the bolts that are in the frame are this style anyways.

Chad

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Douglas,
You dont need to use a nut and bolt. Just use self tapping bolts, most of the bolts that are in the frame are this style anyways.

Chad

Dude I don't know about you but I put that thing on to beat the crap out of it.. and with grade VIII bolts I have a little insurance that maybe some natural coersion will take place before they give--whereas self-tapping bolts will shear- on their way out. Beside my plate install requires a nut backing... we'll have to compare differences in design at Moab. ;) :thumbsup:

Back