gauge differences in 1st gens?

TheRookie

Traveling SAS guru
Reaction score
City, State
West Chester PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer xlt
Well I am a loser and am totaly into flames. I found a guy selling flamed gauge faces for 1st gens. However they are listed as being for 93-94 X's. Some other gauges are listed as 91-94. Are there any differences between the 91 92 and the 93 94 gauges? If so how major?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

shouldnt be any difference. i also like those gauges

I have seen the flame gauges too, they are cool;
I have never noticed any difference between 91-92 gauges vs. 93-94 gauges. My 94 still has a red line at "55 mph", and that old speed limit was abolished in what, 1988? That tells ya how long it took Ford to redesign the part.

OK thanks. I will give it a try and hope it fits.

Here's a good write-up by Kris on installing white-face gauges in a '92.
http://www.explorer4x4.com/white_speedo.html

The only mention I saw in it of a difference between 91-92 and 93-94 was "There will be different steps for different models. '91-'92 Explorers will have to make a jumper to get the brake light to work. The '91 - '93s will have to add three holes to the new gauges if your's came with three screws on the tach." So, it might be worth your while to read his writeup before starting yours.

Good luck.

BTW, as a child of the '50s, I find flames to be very cool, too. (Chrome, too.) :thumbsup:

Thanks gimp. great link. Really solved my concern. Now to decide if I want black or white gauges with flames.

the diff i noticed, the position of the e-brake warning light. on 91-92, it is near the bottom right. but, in 93 when the limiteds came out, they put an anti-theft light in that spot and moved the e-brake light to the very lower right corner (see pic). this is my dash on my 93. i had to cut a hole so i could see my e-brake light. the hole just to the left of it is where it would be on 91-92.
(dead links)

Back