• Register Today It's free!

Gear ratio from 3.73 to 4.56

prtfreak

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Mountaineer; JP13
Hey guys im looking to regear my axles so i get back to a stock ratio and doing some research ive found that 4.56s would be the way to go. Right now im running a 3" BL, 4"superlift kit with a SOA setup and the tortion cranked a bit to compensate with 35's. anyone know where i can get a whole kit to do the axles im not sure exactly what i would need to do this. Any info is appreciated.

98' Mercury Mountaineer "Jurassic Mudstang" :JP:
3" BL 4" Superlift in front SOA in rear

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have 4:56 and 33s. 4:56 would be stockish for 35s but I personally gave up a couple hundred Rs on the freeway to gain power and I am happy with my choice. I would highly consider 4:88. That would depend on the duties of the truck of course. But most explorers on 35s aren't someone's 80 mph down the freeway dd.

Agree..4.88s unless mostly flat long highway miles..the difference is very small in rpms, but power wise its much bigger difference. .

If I remember my math, 4.56 with 33s is about the same as 4.10 with stock 29s. So 4.56 and 35s should be about the same as 3.73 with 29s.

As far as kits, no clue. Yukon Gear? You really just need the rings and pinions. The carrier bearings can be sourced at your local auto part stores if you need to replace them.

If I remember my math, 4.56 with 33s is about the same as 4.10 with stock 29s. So 4.56 and 35s should be about the same as 3.73 with 29s.

As far as kits, no clue. Yukon Gear? You really just need the rings and pinions. The carrier bearings can be sourced at your local auto part stores if you need to replace them.

I will note that the Yukon D35 install kit does not include the proper carrier shims for the IFS D35.
You will need to source those elsewhere.
DAN73139X, iirc.

Back