GEM Module Reconfiguration (computer flashing) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

GEM Module Reconfiguration (computer flashing)

ExplorerDMB

Moderator/Technician
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsville, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Acura TL
I am in the process of trying to fix my speedometer (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130341) through the Ford way of flashing the computer (updating it). I have all the necessary tools (NGS and Green Card) and basically the only problem keeping me from flashing the GEM module is that the GEM module is "inconfigurable". Now, my question(s) is(are), what do I do from here: Is there an update I can get from Ford (I can easily obtain this) to allow my GEM to be configurable, or do I need a whole new GEM module all together. Here is the information I pulled from the GEM that's in my Explorer now:

Type 3
Serial #: XL2T-14B205-CD
Software: 12.0
Date: 08-01-99

My Explorer is a 2000 4x4 with the 4.0L and I need to enter 625-630 Rev/Mile into the NGS to allow my speedometer to read correctly! Please let me know of any information anyone can find!

-Drew

EDIT: on the link to the previous thread, at the bottom is a description of what you have to do to correc the speedometer. Now, I've only tried going through the GEM - could I go through the ABS system and fix the speedo there?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow you have an NGS! (envious). I think Eneurb may be the guy to ask. I'm clueless.

Thanks Glacier. Yeah - well it's not exactly MY NGS. It's the shops ha. But I can do all of this stuff for free. I will PM Eneurb.

-Drew

I've unfortunately never done it with NGS, I'm blessed with having a WDS machine... but to the best of my knowledge, you'll find it in the PCM module configuration. I'll try it out on Monday with NGS when I get back to work.

I can get to the information to where I need to put in the Rev/Mile -- but it says "error: Module is not configurable" after I enter in all the information. Basically I'm just trying to find either another way of correcting my speedo or finding out which GEM module I do need.

-Drew

I wonder if you may need to get your green card reflashed. What service card version is it?? With WDS, you just have to enter the tire size and/or axle ratio, and all the calculations are done. From what I can understand, you are trying to reconfigure your GEM, try to do the same thing in the PCM section.

I will see what I can do. Thanks

-Drew

I am going to go through the Hybrid section and see if there is anything I can find in there. I will also look under the PCM settings.

-Drew

Well, I've been delayed so I will have to get back to this some other time. I will keep this updated.

-Drew

Back