• Register Today It's free!

Getting Frustrated!

Greatdane68

Reaction score
City, State
St Charles, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer Eddie Bauer
My wife and I recently purchased a used 08 Eddie Bauer Explorer. This makes the 4th one we've owned, but the first one to EVER give us any trouble. Bought this from a dealership that performed a "Gold Check" inspection, so we thought we should be getting a reliable vehicle. Driven it less than 5000 miles, and so far, the shift cable needs to be replaced, a blend air actuator needs replaced, the dealership replaced the transmission "under the service contract we purchased".

Now we are getting the amber wrench light coming on... Problem is, there has been no other "feel" issues, and my OBD II reader isn't finding any fault codes! I hate to take it back to the dealer... Again...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never have the selling dealer do a performance check. Have another certified mechanic shop do it.
That said, Take your Explorer to a different shop (Not a car dealership) and have them do an Inspection.
They'll tell you whats wrong, what might go wrong and what needs fixing asap. This will cost money, but I believe it will help you.
Good luck!

The amber wrench comes up when there are issues mainly with the transmission. Regular reader will not display those. They are 700 series.

Update: Got the codes read. Had misfire #4, large evap leak, and bank 1 sensor 1 lean. Cleared the codes, and so far, they haven't returned. I have to wonder if it isn't the "capless" gas cap giving me an issue...??

The gas cap could definitely be leaking. If the issue comes back you might want to try another.

Back