Glacier991

EF Tranny Guru
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA 95827
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
First off... I am only one of TWO co-moderators here, IZWack is the other. He may have some ideas of his own... but what I plan to do in regards to "Stickies" (those threads that are at the top of the list all the time -they do not move down as they age and fall into the ooze of more threads and get forgotten) is this. If something seems of general interest, or "hot" I will give it "sticky status". Once the interest falls off (as measured by fewer and fewer numbers of people accessing that thread,) it will get unstickied.

Let me give you an example. Between 12-1-2005 and today nearly 2000 people have looked at the 4X4 Shift Motor Rebuild Diary. It is very popular, and will remain stickied a long time in all liklihood. In contrast, there was a thread on A4LD loaner tools. A total of 60 folks looked at that one, so, it had its day in the sun, and is unstickied. Other threads have also been unstickied for the same reason.

You may note this forum has more stickies than other ones, but that grouping will change over time. In some cases I have stickied things that are also in the Useful Threads Forum. Why? Because a lot of folks do not know to look there and come here first. [As the Useful Threads builds up I am going to suggest to Rick maybe the Useful threads needs further refinement by category...]

So that's the plan. If you think something ought to be stickied a while, let me know. I'm pretty amenable, I just watch the interest and act accordingly once it is stickied.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great idea, Chris. Behind you 100% :thumbsup:

You are right about no one looking at the useful threads; I have had to copy and paste tons of links from the useful thread section into post of mine to people who just don't look. Like I've said before, great idea!

-Drew

Drew thanks! There are quite a number of really good threads out there (some of yours come to mind in fact) where the poster put in a lot of time, used pictures etc... THOSE threads deserve maximum exposure. If folks ain't interested (sigh) so be it (I have found this to be particularly true in computer areas in the FORD vehicles... no one really wants to know about sensors etc, for example) but I think in most cases it's more about "marketing" than a lack of interest. For example, in over a year or so of the thread having been posted on this board, mostly in "Useful Threads" forum...the 4X4 Shift Motor Diary had garnered about 8000 hits. Not bad.... but IN TWO WEEKS of being stickied HERE, it got another 2000. 25% of the former hits!! I rest my case.

Now I have a challenge for you tranny/t-case kinds folks. POST a well done photo illustrated thread...And....[ I have a small supply of really nice FORD ROTUNDA computer "mousepads".... made for FORD for the dealership folks in the shop and parts area.] You invest the time to help out your fellow board members and do a worthy photo illustrated post of technical and general interest (see ExplorerDMB's and IZWack's as an example)] and I will SEND you - FREE... one of those mousepads. My dime. (limited offer.. until I run out)

Oh and, that thread WILL get stickied. For a while, anyway. Knock yourselves out. I decide who wins.. (Giddy with power)

Great idea Glacier. :thumbsup:

I think you need to advertise those mousepads... show us an image or something :D

Glacier991 said:
[As the Useful Threads builds up I am going to suggest to Rick maybe the Useful threads needs further refinement by category...]

That right there is an excellent idea that should happen sooner than later ;)

Ok... an advertisement for the Mousepad Promo

Ok, let me start with the legal disclaimer... no one associated with this board and PARTICULARLY moderators of this forum (anyone get my drift here) is eligible... but here's the official mousepad promotion. Anyway my Co-Moderator thought I ought to show you the Mousepad. So I will. (ok ok IZwack stop whining maybe I'll send you one anyway)

First off a pic with my hand in it.... the most photographed hand on the internet:

15286DSCN6271-med.jpg

Next a pic of the entire pad...

15286DSCN6272.jpg

Now the little caveman guy... I am sure FORD has named him, I'll call him Oilcan Harry...for now...

15286DSCN6273-med.jpg

All in all a cute and nicely made mousepad. Doesn't that make ya wanna go pick out a project for a photo thread for this forum? Go for it guys !!

Update. Let's use this as an example. In the first few days this thread had 80 hits. In the following several days only a handful. After Christmas this will get unstickied.

Back