going to be buying a car hopefully tomorrow | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

going to be buying a car hopefully tomorrow

stevenw131

Reaction score
City, State
Oak Ridge, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer sport
hey all i am probably one of the few people here who do not actually own an explorer. im really hoping that will change tomorrow. i am going to look at this car here:http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/2766478588.html im really hoping it is a nice car because if it is i am buying it on the spot!! i was wondering if you guys could maybe give me a little pointers. what should i be looking for?? is there anything particularly wrong with that year/model explorer?? i really want to get it because from the picture it looks like it is in decent shape. thanks a lot guys!!!

~steven~

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check for rusted rocker panels. Check the spring shackles for rust. See if it has the OHV (over head valve) or SOHC (single over head cam) engine. If it has the SOHC maker sure it does not have the timing chain rattle. If no rattle ask for service records to verify when the cassettes were replaced.

Ask when the ball joints were replaced. Pull the transmission dipstick and make sure the fluid is not burnt or fresh fluid. If the fluid is fresh they could be hiding transmission problems.

Find a place to make sure the transfer case shifts in & out of 4wd. You don't want do this on dry pavement.

I always like to find a dirt road, switch to 4WD and floor it- check the tracks for evidence... :D

Dan had good points- you won't have a trouble free Ex, but those are the big $$ issues. If there is any rattle coming from the engine, run. It's a SOHC, and you don't want the timing chain tensioner issues.

If you do decide to make an offer, have cash. Tell them your offer is good now, you're not waiting for him to shop around until January, take it or leave it. ;)

thanks guys i will make sure to ask about all these things!! i really hope it turns out to be nice because it looks really nice from the outside. just one question (and this is going to sound like a really noobish thing to ask) in the picture on craigslist of the interior, the center console looks like it has some white dots... is that just a pattern on the fabric?? thanks!!

That's probably the bedazzled MOD, it is after all, New Jersey. jk. U can get new vinyl covering of ebay cheap and do it right. Welcome to the site and good luck with the purchase.

thanks for the info... and please do NOT hold back/ apologize for on the new jersey jokes i hate it just as much as the next person!!

5r55e

It should have the 5R55E five speed automatic transmission with internal thermostatically controlled external cooling that is activated when the torque converter temperature reaches 150 degrees F. It can take 30 minutes of driving in the winter before the cooling loop opens. If the ATF pressure is marginal shift problems are more likely to be detected when the cooling loop is open. I suggest you drive it for 30 minutes and then check for engine flares during upshifts. See 5R55E shift saga

It has the SOHC, you can see that in the picture.

turns out the car was a piece of crap... wasnt really expecting it after he said in one of his emails that i will be surprised at how good the condition of the car is.... no worrys though im going today to look at an 01 explorer sport 4.0! hopefully this one is nicer!! wish me luck

Patience... You'll find a nice one! :thumbsup:

Good luck!

Back