Going to the Rocky Mountains, what to do before hand? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Going to the Rocky Mountains, what to do before hand?

ERIK2173

Reaction score
City, State
Oak Park, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 SPORT
Well in a couple of weeks I am goint to take a trip to the Rocky Mountains. I am going to drive from Chicago and back.
Other than an oil change and a new air filter is the any preventive maintenance that should be done before driving in higher altitudes?

It's idling a little rough so I may replace the IAC, and clean the MAF, but that's all I can think of.
It's a 2001 with 44,000 miles so I don't think anything major should be in order.

Anyone have any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since climbing is hard on an engine, you should also check the condition of your coolant. Make sure it is fresh, and filled up.

..and make sure the transmission fluid is in good condition and at the proper level. Make sure your plugs and wires are ok. Tire pressure. Normal tune-up things.

I went thru the Rockies (I-70) in March and my truck did fine other than only being able to go 50 mph on some of the grades. I recommend you use 'D' (i.e. don't turn on overdrive), it will keep you in the powerband going up and help with braking going down.

Make sure your brakes and tires are good too.

what part are you going to?

I just had my brakes done, tires have good tread, although I would love some new Michelins LTX's before the trip.
I'll check the coolant condition and the trans fluid too.
Thanks for the ideas.

I'm going camping in Rocky Mountain National Park,
which is north west of Denver.
I've never been there before so I'm looking forward to it.

You might go to eat at Crooked Creek Saloon there in Fraser, Co. just south of Granby (Granby is the town at the south end of the Rocky Mtn Natl Park). It's right on the state highway 40.

Thanks, if I have time I'll check it out.

Wanted to jump in here, I would be sure to check your spare tire and windshield wipers..

Have a safe trip.

You will be fine. I drove my 2001 Explorer through there a couple years ago and it handled fine. I had 3 other people in the vehicle and lots of camping junk. It kind of bogged a bit at times, but it wasnt too bad. Camp by Estes Park, CO. I found a campsite at 9000 feet and there was snow in late May. Kinda neat I think.

Estes Park is where we're planning on staying, at least for the first couple of night....
a site at 9000 feet, that sounds perfect, I'll have to look for that one.
We'll be there the third week of June so there may still be snow higher up and it should be cold at night.

Thanks for all the info guys.

Back