Gonna do what they said can't be done... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gonna do what they said can't be done...

Netkeym

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer 5.0 AWD
I just bought a 1996 Explorer 5.0L AWD that I am going to use for a daily driver. It has 130,000 miles and runs great. :exp:

What am I gonna do that hasn't been done? I'm gonna get some decent mileage out of this thing.

So far my baseline with this SUV is about 18-18.5 mpg on the highway and 14-14.5 mpg in town.

First thing I have to do is a tune up and fix any problems.
The CEL is on and I scanned the codes - there were two one to do with the O2 sensor and one about the emissions valve switch not working correctly.
When I scanned historical codes, there were five, four to do with the O2 sensors and the one about the emissions.

So I will keep y'all posted as what I've done and the results along the way. I already ordered a tune and some u/d pulleys. Here is my plan:

1) New O2 Sensors and R/R the emissions control valve.
2) Tune Up including plugs, PCV, filters, and some Sea Foam.
3) Custom Tune.
4) Under Drive Pulleys.
5) Electric Fan Conversion.
6) Good Custom Exhaust eliminating rear cats.
7) Good Cold Air Intake

I'll be keeping track along the way (maybe not as obsessive as Al) and keep my post updated as to progress and results.

Here is a pic of the truck the way it sits:
Explorer.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I will be keeping a close eye on this thread. I am doing some of the same stuff to me AWD V8 Sport. So far I think the easiest way to do a electric fan set up for me will be moving the a/c condenser and radiator forward. But I plan on using a 2 speed mark 8 fan I already have.

O what under drives did you order?

I will be keeping a close eye on this thread. I am doing some of the same stuff to me AWD V8 Sport. So far I think the easiest way to do a electric fan set up for me will be moving the a/c condenser and radiator forward. But I plan on using a 2 speed mark 8 fan I already have.

O what under drives did you order?

I found a close-out deal on fleabay for a 3 pulley set that costed me $37 shipped!

Couldn't pass it up!

Funny you mentioned the Mark VIII fan - I own a 1995 Mark VIII LSC and I have a spare electric fan from a Mark!

Oh, by the way - something I found through my own experience regarding mileage:

I have a 1995 Thunderbird that I swapped in a Mark VIII 11.25" converter to replace the stock 12" converter.

The car feels lighter and much quicker off the line, but the surprise was ......
my in-town mileage increased after the swap (highway mileage didn't change).
I'm guessing it's because the engine works less to get the car moving and it accelerates easier.

I have a 10.5" 2800 stall converter I was saving for my Mark VIII, but I may try it in this Explorer to see how it effects mileage. It HAS to help because this SUV just feels like a slug on take off.....

I know I said I was gonna do the tune-up first, but the custom tune came in my email so quick, I put it in.

The difference is noticeable immediately! It sounds, runs, and shifts better. I haven't had a chance to check out the mileage yet, but I'm sure it's better.

I had Don at Lasotaracing do the tune with only a couple of things I DEFINITELY wanted - 2nd gear lock-up of the torque converter and double up on the EGR flow.

Truck runs great - I'll keep y'all posted on the data I collect.

I've done a little driving on the new tune and I see something else Don put in the tune.

When I let off the accelerator, the fuel is completely cut off and the mileage gauge goes to 99 mpg. It never did that before so I know Don must have put that in the tune. It only starts pumping fuel when the RPM's drop below 1700 - I can feel it.

What are you using as a mileage gauge? Does yours have the factory read out?

What are you using as a mileage gauge? Does yours have the factory read out?

Yes, it has the little factory infocenter just like my Mark VIII has. I've compared these with actual logs I use from fill-ups and my GPS and they are always pretty accurate.

I've burnt up about half a talk of fuel with in-town driving and my average has gone up about 2 mpg with just the performance/economy tune I uploaded unto the ECM. I used to get about 13.5-14.5 mpg around town and right now the center shows 16.5 mpg average. I haven't gone anywhere to do any highway driving, so I can't say if that's improved.

One thing I noticed about the tune is the torque converter lock-up schedule; it's not without issues. My tuner warned me that this might occur, and told me to watch out for "torque converter oscillation". It seems when he added the 2nd gear lock-up, it can effect the lock-up in the original stock 3rd/4th gears, and it does!

Sometimes while driving along, the truck with vibrate like I'm driving on rumble strips and that is the lock-up acting up. I notice my "instant mileage" drops off when it happens and I have another tune with the stock lock-up schedule. I just hate to lose the changes, so I haven't resorted to using this newest tune.

I planned on doing a j-mod soon anyways, and that may solve the issue by increasing the line pressure. I was going to install a new EPC (electronic pressure solenoid) when I do this mod which will bring the desired pressure increase. The new late-model solenoid is part #XL3Z-7G383-AB formally used in only 5.4L applications, but now being used is all applications, I believe.

BTW, R1dd1ck, if you want to get one of those close-out underdrive sets, there are some left - here is the link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-5-0-28...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d2f966614&vxp=mtr
(You MAY want to wait until I make sure these fit our Explorers! lol)

A Milestone Is Reached!

Yesterday, I got new O2 sensors and changed the two upper sensors.

I was immediately surprised at the difference! The truck felt lighter, more responsive, and not so sluggish!

Sort of the improvement that the tune made, but more pronounced! I guess the old O2 sensors were worse than I thought.

Anyways, MPG wise I took her to town and back (about 60 miles round trip) and I averaged 20.1 mpg! Whoop Whoop!

I was way surprised! I'm still not taking it to Miami next week (800 mile round-trip), but it's getting better & better!

The under-drive pulleys I bought, I sold to my boss at a $12 profit! lol
That's ok, I just ordered another set; they should be here when I get back at the end of the week.

I'll keep y'all posted!

Oh, I also had a shudder in the TC after the Tune install, but I just did a quick-n-dirty fluid change (I unhooked the upper tranny line, clamped a hose to it, started the truck and let it pump out all the fluid into a container, then I drained the TC). After refilling with 10 quarts of new Merc V, the shudder is gone. Bonus!

Any updates?

Yes, there are some updates.

The pulleys I bought would not fit and after researching the net (forums, ebay, etc), it seems they don't make a pulley set to fit the 1995-2001 Explorer/Mountineer 5.0L as it's an original setup used nowhere else.

So unless I make or get a custom set made, it ain't gonna happen.

The crank pulley is a one-piece unit with harmonic balancer/pulley/trigger wheel all incorporated into one unit and the water pump is different too. I guess Ford did that because there isn't much room in there.

I tried to at least install the electric fan, but three different fans I tried all would not fit. I'll have to buy an aftermarket slim line fan to fit.

So, my next steps to make this pulley/electric fan conversion work?
1) Get a crank pulley and see if I can modify it with a smaller pulley
2) Buy an aftermarket slim-line electric fan setup.

That's where I sit while I drive around with my current 15 mpg city / 20 mpg hwy gas hog Explorer.

Back