Gonna hang around here

cgbier

Reaction score
City, State
Saipan
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Mazda Navajo
Hi there,

Just bought myself a 94 Navajo with <cough> some rust and screwed-on sun roof. Engine runs well, shifter works, FWD engages. Gonna pick it up tomorrow in the morning and most likely will start shooting out a lot of questions afterwards.

I'm not new to Ford, having had plenty of European Taunus ans Capri 3 with the Cologne Engine in my youth, a Ranger 4.0 and a junk Aerostar (that, sadly went back to the junk yard - my only Ford so far with no Cologne Engine).

Well, happy greetings from the - at the moment not so - sunny Pacific island of Saipan.

:chug: CG.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome aboard.. just use the search functions, to get quick answers to questions, just about anything you can think of has been covered. Having read posts dating back to 2005, it is true, that "almost" any answer can be found. Good luck with the Navajo, look foward to reading about your progress.

Jaggernaut, thank you for the warm welcome.

Yep, search function helped me a lot already. Great forum here!

Picked it up earlier this morning. Just had to change two light bulbs and it made it through inspection.
However, steering is all over the place, pulling the brakes needs a strong hand on the wheel - ball joints and brakes need major overhaul. It runs pretty rough (Check Engine light is on), but I'd assume a change of spark plugs and wire will solve that issue. Gas gauge seems to be non-functional.

I assume the only difference between Navajo and Explorer is cosmetics?

The junk yard will be my best friend the next couple of months...

It runs pretty rough (Check Engine light is on), but I'd assume a change of spark plugs and wire will solve that issue.

I assume the only difference between Navajo and Explorer is cosmetics?

The junk yard will be my best friend the next couple of months...
Check your vacuum tree for a missing cap or hose, that can make it run rough, and it's an easy cheap fix if it is!

Yes, mechanically identical to Explorers.

You're lucky, we have no junkyard on this island!

Yeah, half the vacuum lines are broken off. I'm waiting for the repair manual to come in to fix them up.

Saipan? It's a beautiful place to live. Beach season all year through with pretty much the cleanest water in the world. A bit third worldish, but this gives this place its charme. I came here on the wings of love in 2000, originating from Germany.

The Aerostar was a 94 (IIRC). It went to the crusher already ...should have kept the tranny that rotted away disassembled in the cargo area...

No problem there. The tips on this forum have already saved me more than 20 bucks in those few days I've been hanging around here.

Back