Got some things fixed.. this might help someone. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Got some things fixed.. this might help someone.

G

gensic11

I took my truck in to get an alignment (from Ford). The only reason I went to the dealership was because they sent me a coupon for a 30$ alignment, which was a really good deal I thought. Anyway, they said I couldn't get the alignment because my Ball Joints (Lower) on the front end were really bad/worn out. Now..

Prior to the ball joints/alignment/shocks being replaced my truck would sway from side to side horribly when i would drive on unlevel plain. (Example: Going up a driveway with one side going up first then the other (causing it to sway back and forth)). If you have this problem... CHANGE your SHOCKS. I got the monroe's put on.. it completely solved the problem.

Secondly if you brake at low speeds and it seems like you hear a weird noise coming from your brakes like the rotors are worn or what not.. It's probably your ball joints.. I started noticing my truck would make a weird noise in the tire region even when I was just driving normally, like something was not balanced correctly.. Continued use of your truck with these symptoms can cause other major problems and tire wear.

By the way I didn't get my truck fixed at ford, I found a local guy who did 4 new monroe shocks, an alignment, and 2 lower ball joints from my front end replaced.. All of this work only cost me 450$.. Ford was going to charge me 510$ just for the joints and the alignment.. what a RIP OFF!!

Anyway If anyone had similar symptoms you might wanna check into it.. I'm so happy I got everything fixed.. she drives like new again

Hopefully this helps someone

Josh

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You got a heckuva good deal for all that. Which Monroes did you get? They've got Monroematics, Sensatracs, Reflexes, Gas Charged Heavy dutys, and Load Levelers.

I'm wondering if thats what my noise was too. I had a sound similar to what you describe when braking. I had my truck at the Ford dealer also for an alignment and had the lower ball joints replaced($480 cover by extended warranty). It did seem to solve the sound. The place where I got the truck from also replaced the hub/bearing assambly trying to fix it. Good to hear someone didn't get ripped off at the dealer too!

thankx for the heads up :chug:

hey no problem, i know it's not a load of information (im not real technical when it comes to my explorer) but i know my truck runs soooooooo much smoother now, no more swaying and no more front end noise or braking noise.. i just thought if someone had similar symptoms it would help them figure out where to be looking..

i'm really not sure which monroes i got to be honest.. i just know i got a real good price for them I doubt they're anything too expensive but i know they made a great deal of a difference.. ill look into it and check to see which ones exactly..

Josh

Back