Got stop by a cop because of Hyperwhite Turning Signals | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Got stop by a cop because of Hyperwhite Turning Signals

Hey ya'll, this morning when I was headed to work, it was cloudy and not to dark for me to turn on my headlights, but I turned on my parking lights for driving and since all my bulbs are Hyperwhite then I didn't think I had a problem. Well I dropped off my sister first at school, after I droped off my sister, I put my turning signal "on" you know to turn left. The cop was at the corner just parked their, now when I was driving out of the school driveway to turn left the cop gets off the car and runs across the street to stop me, I was like"The cop esta loco" luckily he gave me a warning and that if he sees me the next time with a "BLUE" turning signal, I'm going to earn a ticket. I told him "I didn't know they were blue", cause that's what the cop said to me, he said my turning signals are blue and that only cops are allowed to have blue and he even pointed at his badge, trying to be a showoff about it. I really didn't care what he said but I think I'm going to take that advice since he's always going to be there every morning when I take my sister to school. That sucks!!:fire: Just wanted to share the experience with ya'll that have Hyperwhite Turning Signals. LOL.:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are the hyperwhite bulbs DOT approved? If so, bring the packaging with. If they're not DOT approved, then it's a good idea to remove 'em.

I still like my Orange bulbs in clear lenses. It is the only color that looks right with my HID's.

DSC00021.jpg

According to the web-site, "All items illustrated are illegal to use on road, unless it is specific DOT/SAE approved. Those items are only intends for static display vehicles or for off-road racing vehicles. Items are advised to be used only in closed circuit. Public road and Highway uses are strictly prohibited."

So, it's illegal to drive with those bulbs. Sorry.

Damn!!! I've used those bulbs for over a year now and until today I got stopped for them. I want to get the LED Amber bulbs cause when they're off you don't see the amberish color through the clear corners. But what do you guys opinionize about this matter?

You can get the LEDs or have you thought about spraying a LIGHT mist of Hi-Temp Silver spray paint over your stock orange bulbs? That way, you can't see the orange when they're not on, but when they flash, they'll still flash orange. I'll probably do that to mine one day.. just haven't got around to it yet. :D

Not a bad a idea, but LED's are a little much brighter than regular bulbs, I think that's my opinion about that. I'm just trying to be different, LOL:D

Originally posted by Black Magic
I still like my Orange bulbs in clear lenses. It is the only color that looks right with my HID's.

DSC00021.jpg

Yeah about 3 eyars ago i put in thoes "Wanna be HID-Headlights" in my Ex and i agree, orange is the only color that properly matches with them.

Damn i wish these would blow out, i'm tired of them, i want regular Sylvania's. I never have had a headlight last 3 years on me

Damn i wish these would blow out, i'm tired of them, i want regular Sylvania's. I never have had a headlight last 3 years on me

My headlights are still stock! Or at least from '98 when I got the truck. But they have about 120k on them! I wanna get some Sylvania's too!

Where did you buy those H.I.D's and the amber bulbs as well? They do make a nice match. Can you tell me what store or website? Thanks;)

I put some APC Titan bulbs in my clear corners, they're silver when dormant and orange when lit up, perfect for clear corners.

And as for the DOT-approval thing, they may be approved by the DOT, but as has been explained to me, state statutes still weigh in...... for instance in the Arizona statutes chapter 2, article 16, 28-931: Lamp colors
A. Front clearance lamps and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the front or on the side near the front of a vehicle shall display or reflect an amber color.

So even if the blue was DOT-approved, atleats for Arizona, you couldn't use them even though I see 'em all the time.

a buddy of mine got a ticket for red bulbs. he went to court and they dropped the fine and told him it'd be ok if he put in hyper white ones instead.

Nice to see someone else from Virignia...

I have clear corners, and for the parking lights, I made the top two bulbs (2nd gen ex) clear, but I kept the side turning signal bulb orange. That way I can still have clear bulbs, but I should still be legal.... I have saftey inspection this month, so I'll post an update if I get busted or not.
I also spray painted the side orange bulbs w/ the high temp silver paint... keeps the corners looking clear. I would put on more then "just a light coat" tho.... but try it with just a little paint on 'em and go from there... easier to add then take the paint off.

Originally posted by hydroxy
Nice to see someone else from Virignia...

Nice to see you to buddy, well it's been a very challenging topic for all of us about this situation. So where did you buy those APC Titan bulbs you're talking about? I'm interested in those? Are they cheap though?

LED's Suck! We have had this disscussion here many, many times. Look here for some pics.

Either do the spray or get silver bulbs from APC.

The HID's I have were bought from a local guy that has a small business. He just basicly sells things to his buddies for a couple bucks over cost.

Originally posted by Black Magic
LED's Suck! We have had this disscussion here many, many times. Look here for some pics.

Either do the spray or get silver bulbs from APC.

The HID's I have were bought from a local guy that has a small business. He just basicly sells things to his buddies for a couple bucks over cost.
Man I like your bright ambers and I saw that you got the from Street Beat Customs, right? I think they look really cool, nice and bright. Let me know, thanks

I ordered my APC Titans from driverfx.com
Pep Boys also carries some of the APC Titans but not all the colors...
Black magic.... you remember when I was talking about this earlier? I'm so beyond satisfied with these Titans its ridiculous.... I'll out some pics up with this next role of film[it has my Detroit Auto show pics on it too]

Back