• Register Today It's free!

Greatings from Apex, NC

sidsidsid

Reaction score
City, State
Apex, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
I have used the internet extensively to keep my Explorer running, finally decided to actually join a forum, and this place looks like a rich source of information and assistance. I have a 91 XLT, 5spd, original owner, 190K miles. Replaced motor at 150K after crank and rod bearings gave up. Love the vehicle, it replaced my 84 Bronco2 once the family got too big. And just recently bought a used 97 XLT for the kids to drive.

I havent explored the corners of this site yet for my current issue with the 91 Explorer. And its not so much a new problem, just a speedometer irritation that has been bothering me for a few years now. The speedo reads fast, and it depends on the outside air temp. During the summer it is only fast by about 5 mph at 60. In colder weather it will read as much as 30 mph fast when I start out. And after ive been on the road for about 5 miles, it will slowly drop down to the more normal 5 mph fast, and remain there, until i park it and it gets cold again. It doesnt bounce around, gives me a nice steady needle. I've been struggling to understand how that happens in a cable driven setup. So if you have any bright ideas or suggestions let me know. Thanks, Sid.

welcome sid

re VSS - have not dabbled in that area, but thats a thought. I have not noticed any cruise control issues, maintains a steady speed, etc, but Im sure i have always engaged it well after the speedo has stabilized. I need to engage cruise soon after i get on the road while its reading way high, and see if it slows down as the speedo settles down. (and I'll need to wait for a colder day to try that.) But im still puzzled as to how a mechanically driven needle can read fast and then settle down. and why the sensitivity to cold? is this a magnetcally driven needle at the cluster, with perhaps some viscus damping?

Back