Grill Guard with factory tow hooks | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Grill Guard with factory tow hooks

Tbell18

Reaction score
City, State
Des Moines, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Sport Trac
My Trac is an 03 xlt 4x4. It came with the factory tow hooks. I recently purchased a grill guard which required the removal of the tow hooks. Does anyone know of a different way to mount the factory tow hooks? I occasionally go out in mud and dont want to get stuck in a situation where i need to be towed from the front and dont have a strong enough point to tow from.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

null_zps86fe56d4.jpg

Here's my bull bar and factory tow hooks still attached

I will post up some pictures tomorrow. I currently dont have any good ones of the grill guard. That bull bar is mounted in a different way than my grill guard. My grill guard brackets take up the existing mounting loaction for the tow hooks.

So do mine the bull bar is mounted with the same bolts as my tow hooks but would be able to tell more when you put up a picture

What brand of grille guard is it? I'm pretty sure the Aries and Go Rhino both allow tow hooks to be mounted right where they normally go, and I know the Westin does. Not sure about the Hunter ones. You do have to trim the front plastics a bit.

I have the aries grill guard

Yeah, the Aries should allow tow hooks to be mounted right below the grille guard mounts. I was looking at getting an Aries and read the installation for it.

Yeah, the Aries should allow tow hooks to be mounted right below the grille guard mounts. I was looking at getting an Aries and read the installation for it.

The tow hook runs into the mounting bolt for the grill guard. It looks to be about a 1/8" to wide.

The tow hook runs into the mounting bolt for the grill guard. It looks to be about a 1/8" to wide.

If you end up not being able to fit the hooks.

I would like to purchase them from you.

Send me a PM if you decide on getting rid of them

I have a hunter grill guard with tow hooks off an expedition on mine installed and they fit perfectly. I've had them on there for about a year now and actually used the tow hooks for the first time last week after getting stuck in a water cut and had to get pulled out. The hooks worked perfect, no shifting or anything like that. Not sure if the aries gets mounted the same way, but mine is mounted with L looking brackets that bolt on to the frame.

af_zpsd14a5126.jpg

After grinding the edges of the tow hooks some i was able to make the hooks fit underneath the grill guard mounts. Thanks for the help with this.

Back