Permanently Mounted Factory Tow Hook? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Permanently Mounted Factory Tow Hook?

Street1049

Reaction score
City, State
Wichita Falls, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 PIU
Is a permanently mounted factory tow hook an option on the 2016 PIU? I've looked for information on this for a while now and haven't found anything worthwhile to tell me one way or another.

I ask this because my 2016 PIU had the factory tow hook mounted to the front since I got it from the dealer, and I cannot seem to remove it no matter how hard I try. (Bending breaker bars trying to unscrew it even)

Also, in addition to my seemingly unmovable tow hook, the tow hook cover my vehicle has is actually installed -with- the tow hook, it's not a solid plate like others.

20180704_031244.jpg

20180704_031250.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Haven't seen anything like that before on the Explorer. Not sure I would want to have that as a permanent feature as any hit to them could cause body damage.

Peter

Usually that's done to facilitate easy extraction from a ditch or sliding off road (or on track cars).

Perhaps the agency yours came from is rural or has some rough winters and they wanted the tow hooks "permanently" installed to facilitate quicker/easier extractions when the vehicle got stuck.

I would try and get a look at the back side to see if it has been welded in place or otherwise secured. If not, perhaps it was just torqued in and has corroded some making removal extremely difficult.

Usually that's done to facilitate easy extraction from a ditch or sliding off road (or on track cars).

Perhaps the agency yours came from is rural or has some rough winters and they wanted the tow hooks "permanently" installed to facilitate quicker/easier extractions when the vehicle got stuck.

I would try and get a look at the back side to see if it has been welded in place or otherwise secured. If not, perhaps it was just torqued in and has corroded some making removal extremely difficult.

My PIU was never part of an agency, it was like this from the factory to the best of my knowledge.

Which is what has me confused as I've never seen this done before, nor have I seen a tow hook cover plate made the way this one is either.

I agree the next step would be seeing what I can I to access the back side and see what's actually going on with it. Just wanted to see if anyone else had seen this done previously or if Ford just thought I'm special like that.

Did you buy it new/no miles or used/with miles?

Wonder if it was part of a test fleet that saw track time/testing and they wanted it installed for recovery if it went off track or died and needed to be towed in.

Is there something unusual about the tow hook cover in the bumper or was it just drilled out to fit the tow hook? Typically this is somewhat common on track cars.

If it’s not welded, you just need a bigger bar. I’d try a 6 or so foot section of the biggest pipe, or digging bar that will fit. If it’s welded that thing needs sawzalled off.

That's rather strange, I wonder if seized due to rust. I doubt it's welded due to how hard it would be to access a welding point, but it could be epoxied. It'll be pretty difficult to even remove the bumper cover to access the place that it screws-in to the crash bar with that installed.

While it's weird and would be a good idea to get the tow eye back into a removable state, I wouldn't recommend cutting it off unless you have a replacement crash bar and a decent amount of time to remove the bumper cover assembly. Without a functioning tow eye, there really aren't any other safe places to hook the vehicle without causing damage to the lower plastics.

I'm guessing the PIU doesn't come with the regular OEM tow hook setup.

Peter

Peter

It's just a normal towing eyebolt, best I can tell. A little larger than ones I've seen for just about every other vehicle, but I'm guessing all Explorers are the same.

That looks exactly like the ones which came in my PIUs.

My 2016 has the threaded receiver. The OP's situation looks to me like someone just drilled through the plastic cap and probably used red loctite on the threads.

ufYhfFx.jpg

Back