Groaning/Floorboard Vibrations When Turning Wheel Left | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Groaning/Floorboard Vibrations When Turning Wheel Left

2016ExplorerBlue

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, Ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
2016 Ford Explorer - 75k miles. Hearing a groan (honestly it sounds like a cow mooing) whenever I turn the wheel left and only left. This could be while driving or at a stop. It also occurs when the steering wheel straightens out after I turn the wheel a full rotation right (and again - in that situation- the wheel is turning left). I also feel a corresponding vibration in the floor boards below my feet (driver side). This began as nothing more than a slight vibration several months ago (thought nothing of it). Only noticed it in the mornings. Since then the sound has gotten louder and the vibrations have gotten stronger. Any ideas? Was thinking power steering but with it only occurring when the wheel is turned left, I wasn’t sure.

Thanks!
Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Theres a clock spring in the steering column that likes to whine but I don't think it would cause a vibration. This sound like something in the steering column is worn out or making contact with parts it should not be. I would try to get that looked at asap. I'm not sure if your vehicle has EPAS or not but it can be more difficult and expensive to repair if it does.

I think I'm having the "slight vibrations" you mentioned that you thought nothing of. It happens when steering at low speed.

2016 Ford Explorer - 75k miles. Hearing a groan (honestly it sounds like a cow mooing) whenever I turn the wheel left and only left. This could be while driving or at a stop. It also occurs when the steering wheel straightens out after I turn the wheel a full rotation right (and again - in that situation- the wheel is turning left). I also feel a corresponding vibration in the floor boards below my feet (driver side). This began as nothing more than a slight vibration several months ago (thought nothing of it). Only noticed it in the mornings. Since then the sound has gotten louder and the vibrations have gotten stronger. Any ideas? Was thinking power steering but with it only occurring when the wheel is turned left, I wasn’t sure.

Thanks!
Matt
Open the hood and place a hand on top of the strut while someone turns the wheel, you’ll feel the vibration in your hand. The upper mount may be wearing out and making the noise

Something else that it might be is the sway bar links but those usually start making a clunking noise going over low speed bumps. This will be a little more difficult to check because you need to get your hand on either end of the link and have someone turn the wheel. Yes, you need to be very careful. This can be dangerous, unless you have access to a drive-on lift.

^ You can pry on sway bar links to see if there's play, or often it's just a visual observation of the link and bushings. Shouldn't need to turn the wheel or have on more of a lift than it takes to get under it, though sometimes it is easier to see things with the wheel off.

I suspect steering.

Back