GTP Install Worklog | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

GTP Install Worklog

Clarion 7in widescreen.. yeah had a post here in the FS section selling that and my alpine dvd player, no one bit

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

new toys! these things really are some high end toys! :D

Pics should come tomorrow of the kicks temp install..

2150mb_quart_components.jpg

2150mb_quart_midrange_front.jpg

2150mb_quart_midrange_back.jpg

2150mb_quart_crossovers.jpg

And my new rear amp
2150Kicker_ZR240.jpg

Here's how it looks as of tonight, and hopefully will come to an end this weekend. This is of course that my parts arrive tomorrow, and I dont need anything else... We'll see...
2150mountedcrossover.jpg

2150subampin.jpg

Gotta finish the rest of the fill panels, get the XM, strobes, and speakers, and my cd player, and monitor, and sound deadening the roof... Gee, quite a bit, but hopefully I get it done. :smoke:

i am going to copy that install with my crossovers. Thanks man, i don't know why i hadn't thought of that one yet, but its beautiful.

on a side note- sort of sad that in my huge explorer interior im resigned to tricks like that to hide electronics. I wish i had an expedition, lol. cna't imagine trying to install in a car.

Well here's where it's at now. It's slowed way down with working 11hr days and department testing. So I've been pretty worn out, with little getting done on the car. My old amp crapped out. Luckily my lil bro had his new MTX 1501D sitting around for his car which is going to be done next. We tossed it in, and now it's mine. I've discovered this amp is plenty loud, and almost too much amp for me. But what's wrong with being able to vibrate my trunk lid off :)

2150MTX_1501D.jpg

Here's how the trunk looks. Still have a few trim pieces to take care of, and mounting the amp in place of the old one. Maybe if i'm lucky it'll get done this weekend. Somewhere in it all, I've got to start stripping out the headliner to sound deaden that and mount my monitor.
2150Partial_complete1.jpg

looking very sweet. the subs look awesome! cant wait to see how it shapes up!

Okay, here's a question, that I know expo can answer... the 1501d is supposed to be a mono amp, yet it's got terminals for 2 channels, and the manual stats no information about it being setup for 1 channel use. They also list all the power ratings at 1 channel. Is MTX different, and rates it as each channel individually?

heres the 1501d page:
http://www.mtxaudio.com/caraudio/products/amplifiers/thunder1501D.cfm

RFR2212 said:
Okay, here's a question, that I know expo can answer... the 1501d is supposed to be a mono amp, yet it's got terminals for 2 channels, and the manual stats no information about it being setup for 1 channel use. They also list all the power ratings at 1 channel. Is MTX different, and rates it as each channel individually?

heres the 1501d page:
http://www.mtxaudio.com/caraudio/products/amplifiers/thunder1501D.cfm

I would like to know the answer too, That is what confused me when my friend go this same amp, its suppose to be mono, but has two channels, Thats scrweed up... LOL

So how does it sound???

well my subs are DVCs and i had them at 2ohms on 2 ch. it was retaredly loud. More bass than anyone would need. Now, since I saw the owners manual i noticed that technically i shouldn't be running a 2ohm load to the channel so i switched it to 8ohms to get it within the correct range, and they still sound great, but they're getting less power. Overall the amp is very sweet.

ok, the two terminals on the mtx amp are actually just one terminal. its done that way so its easy to wire two subs in parellel since thats what most people are going to do with it. i don't know if that makes any sense or not, but thats the deal.

all of the mtx amps will run at 1/2 of the stated ohm rating and will do so well. If i were you i might leave it that way. We run the 342s at 2 ohm mono in my brothers escape with a couple of fans very successfully.

expo5.0 said:
All of the mtx amps will run at 1/2 of the stated ohm rating and will do so well. If i were you i might leave it that way.
Run it at 2 ohms like expo said -
With the 1501d being a class "D" amp, it will run cooler than if it was a class A or B amp. Plus, if you say it is more than enough output at 2 ohms, you can back down the input on the amp till it blends well. With the amp barely breaking a sweat pushing the subs, you'll get a better, more transparent sound and with room for growth if you get the urge to crank it up more. :thumbsup:

expo--makes sense, i see what yer getting at with that.

So then going back and setting my subs to 2ohms each would be fine? B/c in that case, that is really a 1ohm load on the amp then

also there will be 1 8in fan blowing on it constantly, and in all reality, i don't crank on it too much, as I've still got the stock alt in there, and can't quite afford to get a hipo one for a month or so.

i really wouldnt worry about the alt =) really..lol if u only knew what my alt goes through

also u will be fine running the mtx like that..just beat on it for a few hrs then get out and see how hot it is...do that a few times if u dont feel safe running it at whatever ohm ur gunna run it at

.... I just want to say that I love Terdrocket's Dog....and RFR2212's Mugshot is awesome. Good Luck with your system. And you might have already said this, but where did you get that sound deadening?

gatorpatric0 said:
.... I just want to say that I love Terdrocket's Dog....and RFR2212's Mugshot is awesome. Good Luck with your system. And you might have already said this, but where did you get that sound deadening?

Got the sound deadening at sounddomain.com it was the cascade vmax vb pack I do believe. 52 sq feet.

Well, i've continued to run it at 1ohm... however today after having it running for 2hrs or so, with little to no load on it, i'm having problems. I rewired the power and ground to the caps from 4ga to 1/0 ga. Now, since reinstalling it, I've got no bass, very very weak... It was pretty hot when I pulled it too. Go figure, now I've got fans on it... Anyone have a clue? Could I have pooped the amp out? From what I could tell, though not paying much attention, it never shut down at all... Anyone help here?

Well, after tinkering with it, i unplugged one speaker leaving it at 2ohm and it seemed to play okay... anyone? Only thing I could think is to run one at 2ohms and one at 8 to lighten the load...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well it works again, just fine. Guess its time to install a cooling system of sorts in there... Someday I'll have pics...

Back