• Register Today It's free!

Had a little fire...

mcnulty6807

Reaction score
City, State
Alexandria, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT V8 5.0
So my 2000 XLT sat for a few months while I was out of town, when I returned I charged the battery and attempted to start it with no luck. It would crank but wouldn't start. I sprayed some started fluid in the throttle body and learned a lesson, less is more... it caught fire and burned some wires under the throttle body. It ran fine for a few hundred miles but now I'm thinking it is the cause of my problem. When I try to start it I just hear a single click, it will not turn over. Can anyone point me to a good starting point? I will take some pictures and post later...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds more like a bad starter or possibly bad battery cables.

I agree with Koda. These trucks can have all kinds of issues from sitting. I have seen some weird stuff like headlights turning off, turn signals buzzing, mice eat wires bloody hell the messes.

Check your battery cables on BOTH ends. Look for corrosion. Disconnect them clean all surfaces. Use battery grease when you put them back on. Also load test your battery if it has been sitting. Most auto parts stores will do for free.

JMHO

another thought... also check the copper wire that goes between the starter mounted solenoid and the starter motor. they tend to rot away.

Back