halo projectors and hids | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

halo projectors and hids

so i think its a simple question and i hope its a simple answer lol.

so i put a set of projector headlights in my 98 expo a few weeks back and i love them but i want to do hids, the headlights i got came with bulbs that had a pigtail to plug into the 9007 socket, so my question is when i order the hid i order then for the 9007 bulb right? but the problem is the hosing that the new bulb goes in isnt a 9007 housing so im confused with that lol.

so to recap i have projector headlights that have new bulbs in them that have a pigtail that plugs into the 9007 socket when i order the new hids i order then for a 9007 right?

and my second question is bc the 9007 is a dual high and low beam and the headlight i have now have sepret high and low beams what do i do about that ?

You're better off not even messing around with sticking "HID" bulbs in halogen housings designed for 9007 bulbs.

If you have some gimmick "superwhite" or blue bulbs and are unhappy with the output, you're best off getting either regular 9007 halogen bulbs from Sylvania or Philips, or something like the Sylvania XtraVision which are even brighter.

If you want to waste your money on the "HID" bulbs, sure, get the 9007 ones, they are just 9007 plastic bases that twist in and have cheap "HID"-like bulbs on them. Chances are that you will just have a low beam and will no longer have a high beam, though some kits do have a seperate bulb like an H1 that you can connect to the high beam wires for a high beam, or at least something like one.

Keep in mind sticking those bulbs in a halogen housing is against the law in all 50 states and chances are good it will produce unsafe glare that may blind other drivers, especially those in oncoming traffic on a two-lane road. There's also a chance it will just produce a horrible beam pattern or not much light at all, or that the bulbs will not last very long.

If you really want HID headlights, you should look into getting a real HID kit with housings made for real HID bulbs. You could probably sell the projector housings and spend the money towards the HID hardware.

Otherwise, brand name 9007 halogen bulbs are where it's at. They cost less than $20 for a pair, are safe, legal, and last for years.

Back