Hard Starting 5.0 2000 Mountaineer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hard Starting 5.0 2000 Mountaineer

hyperexplore

Reaction score
City, State
Boca Raton FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 EB Explorer
2000 Mercury Mountainer 5.0 V8 . Hard starting, takes 3-4 key cycles for it to start and run. Runs fine, recent new fuel pump, changed the fuel filter. Getting codes PO171 and PO174 - lean banks 1 & 2. Apparently this can be caused by a vacume leak, which I'm trying to find. I also heard it can be near the PCV valve which so far seems impossible to get to unless i take off the intake plenum. when I changed the fuel filter I attempted to depressurize the schrader valve on the fule rail but no pressure released. Sprayed carb cleaner all around intake maifolds areas and no change in engine speed. Put on vacum gage and showed on the low side of normal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have u checked condition of your plugs/wires?

Plugs and wires not that old. Nor would they give me a lean on both banks code.

Plugs and wires not that old. Nor would they give me a lean on both banks code.

I'm just curious because I'm not sure those would give you a hard start condition, it would just run rough.

Have you done a compression test?

No compression test. I called the shop in Orlando that installed the fuel pump 4 months ago when I was up there for my kids graduation. I live 150 miles away in south Florida. I told him about codes PO171 and 174 lean on both banks, he said that its a vacuum leak.. Just trying to see if anyone else has had the same problem.

When I have had those codes its been the IAC, MAF or something along those lines.

Back