• Register Today It's free!

Hard Starting - Please help

93 Sport

Reaction score
City, State
Boise, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Explorer Sport 4.0L
Recently (last month or so), my '93 has been difficult to start. It used to light right off on the first several revolutions, but now I have to grind on it before it starts. Funny thing is, if I stop cranking on the first try, then try a second time, it usually starts right up. Sometimes I have to try a 3rd time. If I persist on the first attempt, it sometimes takes as long as 10-15 seconds cranking before she lights. I've tried cycling the fuel pump several times (by turning ignition key on-off) before attempting start, and it seems to help some. Could this be my fuel pump getting weak? It sure seems to run well otherwise.

135k miles now, but I recently gave a full tune-up.
Thanks for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check things like the fuel pressure at the rail and also consider replacing the fuel filter if its been a while.

Hi. This is the reason I had came to this site in the first place. I had the same problem. I checked the fuel pressure, it was bouncing from 45 to 65. I found on here its supposed to be 40 for the 4.0 93 engine. Changed fuel pressure regulator. Now runs like a champ. Hope this helps Chris

Thanks for the replys. I'll try to get a gauge on the rail to check the pressure.

Recently (last month or so), my '93 has been difficult to start. It used to light right off on the first several revolutions, but now I have to grind on it before it starts. Funny thing is, if I stop cranking on the first try, then try a second time, it usually starts right up. Sometimes I have to try a 3rd time. If I persist on the first attempt, it sometimes takes as long as 10-15 seconds cranking before she lights. I've tried cycling the fuel pump several times (by turning ignition key on-off) before attempting start, and it seems to help some. Could this be my fuel pump getting weak? It sure seems to run well otherwise.

135k miles now, but I recently gave a full tune-up.
Thanks for the help.

What did you figure out? The hard start problem is the exact same as mine.

did you clean the throttle body, maf and iac valve when you did the tuneup?

did you clean the throttle body, maf and iac valve when you did the tuneup?

Not trying to threadjack here, but since I bumped up the original thread I may add on here.

My car: 93 Explorer 6 cyl, 4wd, 335K.

Working through my hard start/ now no start problem. I have a couple of parts store ( is Chilton a bad word here?) Ford Exp manuals and they say things like check the fuel pressure regulator. Not that I have the pressure gauge to do that, but they don't even give me a clue as to where it is located or what to "check" and or where. They do have a diagram of it and if my inspection of the system is right it looks to be located along the frame rail pretty close to the tranny ( on the left side obviously). From some of the searches I have done on here, I at least have a target range of pressures to shoot for.

I also found what looks like the place to test fuel pressure at the engine. Has a stainless line going to it near the radiator hose at front of engine. I swapped out the fuel pump relay for the abs relay as they are the same exact numbers with no success. I guess both could be bad.

I also checked the reset button under the dash on the ?inertia switch and it did not appear to be up or tripped.

Now where is the MAF and the IAC. I know this the mass air flow sensor not sure about the other one.

Thanks to all for any help and hope the mods will tolerate the basically on topic thread jack.

Back