Harmonic balancer - Installation question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Harmonic balancer - Installation question

Vette76

Reaction score
City, State
Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT 4.0L & 97 XLT 5.0L
I was wondering how far back toward the front engine cover seal should the harmonic balancer go on the crankshaft? This is a 4.0L SOHC V6.

I was thinking that if the 'plastic collar' on the harmonic balancer actually touched the seal, it would grind it down and put a groove in it or put pressure on the seal causing an oil leak.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just finish my SOHC timing replace yesterday, I did both front and back seals. I have just a little over 1/4" clearence. I set my seal just off the wear grove.

For clarification....are you saying that the plastic collar on the back of the harmonic balancer, once it is pressed back onto the crankshaft, is now 1/4 inch away from the seal of the front engine timing cover? So in otehr words, if you were looking straight down over the back of the harmonic balancer, you would be able to see 1/4 inch of the crankshaft (between most rear surface of the HB and most forward surface of the front engine timing cover)

I apologize for asking another question. I'm just not well versed in the right lingo.

Thanks!

I have about 1/4" clearance between the plastic collar and the face of the seal. The plastic collar should be close to, but not touching the face of the timing chain cover. You will not be able to see the crankshaft seal when the harmonic balancer with the plastic collar is fully seated on the crankshaft. So, if you set the seal depth too close to the front of the timing chain cover the plastic collar will damage it. If the plastic collar is not seated all the way back on the HB, it will ride against the timing chain housing or hit the seal. You have a new harmonic balancer, did you change the crankshaft seal as well. The seal (I) used does not have a collar that sets flush with the front of the timing chain cover. Some books shows this for SOHC 4.0L engines. The seal I used looks like an axle seal. It is a National Seal Number 473560N. I hope this helps.

How did you make out with your harmonic balancer problem?

Back