Has anyone had this noise with their Explorer? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone had this noise with their Explorer?

Sway bar end links and frame bushings are common failures but end links usually clunk when broken and frame bushings generally squeak when dry or worn. While under there check to see if the steering stops are dry. Usually makes a loud metal to metal grinding sound when the wheel is turned to full lock and moving slowly over bumps. There's a round nub
on each LCA and a crescent shaped stop on the knuckle that should be greased to prevent binding. Pic below is from a 4WD ST but yours should be similar. BTW, excellent audio from your clip although I'm still baffled what the noise is. GL

steeringstops.jpg

Thanks. I wouldn't have thought to check this. It looks like I have a couple of hours of work this weekend.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a little daylight time to try to look for the noise today. My sway bar is a 31mm per the calipers. I ordered new bushings and MOOG end links. Age is taking a toll on the bushings and rubber parts. The sway bar end link bushings are deteriorating but probably not the cause of the sound. Does anyone have a service manual with the end link torque specs?

I had someone else drive it while I listened for the noise. I now think it might be coming from the transmission area. Possibly the mount, but I am not sure. The transmission mount is in really good shape. Any ideas? It's odd that it only pops while turning one direction. I'll have to try and narrow it down more tomorrow. As mentioned I crossed the 50k mark last week. I'd like to get 2-3 more years out of it if the rubber parts hold up.

After thinking about yesterday's discovery I will make sure the trans mount hasn't worked itself loose. Is there a grease point on the slip yoke? I had a f150 that would start clanking if not greased.

Did those of you that have replaced your upper control arms send it in for an alignment afterwards?

It's still a mystery and seems to be progressing very slowly. I have new sway bar end links and bushings that I plan to install soon. It sounds like the noise is coming from the passenger side under the door but the gas tank is there.

I can now get it to make the noise in a full turn and sharply hitting brakes or gas pedal. Let me know if you find anything. I don't like letting things like this go.

My sound definitely seems to be behind the front axle, under the front doors, and not up in the front end. It happens most often when I have the wheels turned all the way and back up. But it also happens forward. Happens either way I have the wheels turned. Pretty much every thread I could find searching had to do with noises in the wheel wells or front end.

It really sounds like the driver's side. I jacked it up, pushed the wheel back and forth and didn't have any play. The rubber boots on the upper ball joints are dry rotted, but no slack when I shook it.

I just watched both upper ball joints while the clicking noise occurred and it didn't appear to come from them. I hope it's not the rack and pinion
Dry rotted ball joint boots are a red flag. Slack or not, dry ball joints tend to make popping sounds.

If OEM without zerk fittings, a grease gun "needle" may help. Also check your outer and inner tie rods.

http://www.amazon.com/Plews-05-037-Grease-Injector-Needle/dp/B000FMO6XU

My sound definitely seems to be behind the front axle, under the front doors, and not up in the front end. It happens most often when I have the wheels turned all the way and back up. But it also happens forward. Happens either way I have the wheels turned. Pretty much every thread I could find searching had to do with noises in the wheel wells or front end.

I can't tell if mine is coming from the end of the transmission maybe on a slip yoke or on the frame on the side of the gas tank. I feel confident it's in that area. Just curious, have you ever pulled your rear drive shaft? I had a 2012 F150 making a clank and it ended up being the slip yoke needing grease.

I have never pulled the drive shaft.

Dry rotted ball joint boots are a red flag. Slack or not, dry ball joints tend to make popping sounds.

If OEM without zerk fittings, a grease gun "needle" may help. Also check your outer and inner tie rods.

http://www.amazon.com/Plews-05-037-Grease-Injector-Needle/dp/B000FMO6XU

I am going to replace the ball joints and control arm bushings soon, but I don't think the noise is coming from them after watching over and over. The explorer only has 50k on them so they shouldn't be worn out. I know they are open to collect dirt and grime now and that's why I'll replace them

50k is not considered low mileage for OEM ball joints. Obviously depends on driving conditions, etc.

If the boots are leaking, they will deteriorate quickly, especially the lowers that are load bearing.

Seems your noises only occur when turning. Would think that would rule out drive shaft components.

I bought my 2002 in 2014 with 63K. The boots on all 4 front ball joint were GONE. Amazingly the ball joints had not fallen apart yet. Replaced them quick!

I bought my 2002 in 2014 with 63K. The boots on all 4 front ball joint were GONE. Amazingly the ball joints had not fallen apart yet. Replaced them quick!

My upper boots are open, but it's tight and no noises so I'll wait.

Please post back

Well I hope you guys figure this out, and for God's sake, post back here with whatever you do to fix it because our Explorers are getting older and somebody will certainly have the same problem down the road.....

Well I hope you guys figure this out, and for God's sake, post back here with whatever you do to fix it because our Explorers are getting older and somebody will certainly have the same problem down the road.....

I will post back here when I figure it out. The thread has been going awhile now. I'll eventually send it to the shop, but it's going to be awhile.

Did you resolve this popping? You can see from this thread that I have what seems to be the exact same noise and the things I tried that were unsuccessful. I've been listening to that noise for 6 months and need it resolved.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3528485#post3528485

Tomball- I see in your thread that you checked your brakes(I did also), but did you replace anything? Also I checked the rear driveshaft slip yoke and didn't see a grease zerk. I have no more ideas.

Also does yours idle like a tractor? I have no codes and the Ford dealer could find nothing wrong with it

I didn't specifically replace anything with the braking system except brake pads. It all seems in order. Nothing loose.

My vehicle idles a bit rough but I wouldn't say it's like a tractor. Barely noticable.

I had a similar noise on my 05 Eddie Bauer LHD that we have in da Phillypeens ... found ALL of the body mount rubbers were rotted completely away at the location you indicated. I ended up fabricating some home made bushes by cutting some circles out of a thick truck inner tube, glued the stack together & fitted in place of the original 'rotted away' rubber bushes.

Noise GONE !!!

Might be worth investigating ??? :D

I had a similar noise on my 05 Eddie Bauer LHD that we have in da Phillypeens ... found ALL of the body mount rubbers were rotted completely away at the location you indicated. I ended up fabricating some home made bushes by cutting some circles out of a thick truck inner tube, glued the stack together & fitted in place of the original 'rotted away' rubber bushes.

Noise GONE !!!

Might be worth investigating ??? :D

I'll check it out this weekend.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After reading the post about the body mount rubbers, I was pretty enthusiastic about this fixing it. I went and looked at my rubbers and although pretty damaged they are still there and functioning. My car also only makes the popping going at slow speeds in a very tight turn. Normal driving and turning is not an issue. I would expect to hear sounds during all types of driving if it was the rubbers.

That all said, I mounted my cell phone and captured video of the rubber just in front of the front doors on each side of the car during the noises and I see zero movement in this area or down the side of the car. I am pretty sure the worn out rubbers are not the cause in my case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U9o47GVBa4&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-WXZxljkGs&feature=youtu.be

I really need a way to triangulate where the sound is coming from underneath. It would be great if there was an app for phones that could determine which direction a sound is coming from based on the microphone and noise cancelling microphone.

I also presume there is no safe way to be under the car while slowly moving 10 ft to see if I can narrow it down.

Back