Has anyone modified their 2016+ so they can turn off their headlights? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone modified their 2016+ so they can turn off their headlights?

Tony407

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer Sport
So I recently replaced my 2015 Sport with a 2017 Sport. And I'm a little frustrated that I can't turn off the LED headlights!!!! The things auto manufactures do that limits what I can or can't do with my vehicle is getting ridiculous. Don't even get me started on cutting power after a few minutes when in accessory mode.

Has anyone here modified these so they can turn their headlights and/or DRLs off? You know, like when you turn the headlight switch to OFF??? LOL. Seriously, what's the point of even having a switch then? So bizarre. Fire the engineer who decided this was a good idea. If it makes any difference, my Explorer was originally sold in Canada.

A few reasons I might want to turn the headlights off:
1) At a drive-through
2) At a drive-in theater
3) While idling listening to music
4) While parked with the engine off listening to music
5) If your headlights are reflected back towards you, blinding you
6) Anytime you don't want to illuminate something in front of you
7) Being sneaky, hiding, wanting to be invisible
8) To flash your headlights off/on

I'm wondering if a simple aftermarket dash switch would do the trick. Anyone? - Tony

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unfortunately I no longer have my 2017 to try out, but don't the headlights only come on when you take it out of Park? If it was built for the Canadian market them you will have Daytime Running Lights (DRL) which are mandatory here. You may be able to turn them OFF using FORScan.
The Power Saver System will turn things OFF after 10 minutes. If you want to, for example, listen to the radio, just turn the radio ON by itself. No need to have the accessory mode ON. That was the radio will stay ON longer. Some of these features, although frustrating at times, are there to prevent the battery from running down.
I know on my current Aviator, I can turn the headlights OFF using the control switch.

Peter

Unfortunately I no longer have my 2017 to try out, but don't the headlights only come on when you take it out of Park? If it was built for the Canadian market them you will have Daytime Running Lights (DRL) which are mandatory here. You may be able to turn them OFF using FORScan.
The Power Saver System will turn things OFF after 10 minutes. If you want to, for example, listen to the radio, just turn the radio ON by itself. No need to have the accessory mode ON. That was the radio will stay ON longer. Some of these features, although frustrating at times, are there to prevent the battery from running down.
I know on my current Aviator, I can turn the headlights OFF using the control switch.

Peter

No, operating the light switch never turns the headlights off no matter what I do. However, the headlights appear to dim about 10% when the switch is in the OFF position, which is a very useless feature. The headlights appear to be always-on, as do the DRLs.

How do you turn the radio on by itself?

My Explorer only has 2 ignition options as opposed to 3 like every single vehicle I've ever owned prior. It's either OFF or ON...no accessory! Bizarre.

The power-off feature is infuriating because I have a secondary batter to power all my stereo equipment, yet the power shuts off regardless. I'm thinking there's got to be a way to custom wire the stereo with a switch so it can power up without actually having the ignition switch on. In theory it sounds plausible...

- Tony

BTW...Peter you are always, always helpful. Thanks!!

No, operating the light switch never turns the headlights off no matter what I do. However, the headlights appear to dim about 10% when the switch is in the OFF position, which is a very useless feature. The headlights appear to be always-on, as do the DRLs.

How do you turn the radio on by itself?

My Explorer only has 2 ignition options as opposed to 3 like every single vehicle I've ever owned prior. It's either OFF or ON...no accessory! Bizarre.

The power-off feature is infuriating because I have a secondary batter to power all my stereo equipment, yet the power shuts off regardless. I'm thinking there's got to be a way to custom wire the stereo with a switch so it can power up without actually having the ignition switch on. In theory it sounds plausible...

- Tony

BTW...Peter you are always, always helpful. Thanks!!
To turn the radio ON by itself, just push the big round button in the center of the panel that says Vol. It is a volume and power control button. I believe that will leave the radio ON for an extended time but can't recall for how long. If it turns OFF, just push the button again. The radio and the visor buttons always have power.

Peter

So I recently replaced my 2015 Sport with a 2017 Sport. And I'm a little frustrated that I can't turn off the LED headlights!!!! The things auto manufactures do that limits what I can or can't do with my vehicle is getting ridiculous. Don't even get me started on cutting power after a few minutes when in accessory mode.

Has anyone here modified these so they can turn their headlights and/or DRLs off? You know, like when you turn the headlight switch to OFF??? LOL. Seriously, what's the point of even having a switch then? So bizarre. Fire the engineer who decided this was a good idea. If it makes any difference, my Explorer was originally sold in Canada.

A few reasons I might want to turn the headlights off:
1) At a drive-through
2) At a drive-in theater
3) While idling listening to music
4) While parked with the engine off listening to music
5) If your headlights are reflected back towards you, blinding you
6) Anytime you don't want to illuminate something in front of you
7) Being sneaky, hiding, wanting to be invisible
8) To flash your headlights off/on

I'm wondering if a simple aftermarket dash switch would do the trick. Anyone? - Tony

One "work around" is to allow the accessory delay to time-out which will darken the X and turn off your radio. THEN, push and momentarily hold the power button on the radio which will turn it back on without using the accessory switch.

This doesn't help with Heat or AC but at least you are "dark" and listening to the radio when needed.

Good luck.

To turn the radio ON by itself, just push the big round button in the center of the panel that says Vol. It is a volume and power control button. I believe that will leave the radio ON for an extended time but can't recall for how long. If it turns OFF, just push the button again. The radio and the visor buttons always have power.

Peter

I apologize, I thought you meant there was a way to turn JUST the radio on without turning the ignition on. - Tony

I apologize, I thought you meant there was a way to turn JUST the radio on without turning the ignition on. - Tony
That does turn just the radio ON. Leave the ignition OFF. You don't even have to have the key fob on you. The radio can be turned ON by anyone that has access to the vehicle.

Peter

In regards to the drl, if yours is not a Canadian model, there is a menu to disable the drl...left screen, using the controls on the left side of the steering wheel.

In regards to the drl, if yours is not a Canadian model, there is a menu to disable the drl...left screen, using the controls on the left side of the steering wheel.
It is a Canadian model as mentioned. Therefore no option to turn them OFF.

It is a Canadian model as mentioned. Therefore no option to turn them OFF.

I think there should be a way to turn off the DRLs in Forscan. I believe that's how they're enabled for the Canadian market, as they're built right on the same line as all the rest at the plant in Chicago.

Back