Has anyone put a new GEM in themselves? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone put a new GEM in themselves?

Pack

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 FX4 Level II
I know it's whats causing my electrical problems, and I would like to put it in on my own. How difficult of a job is this? The part is $167 from Ford, and most people say the job totals between $300-$400. Thanks.

I don't know about the configuring like Doug was saying, but physically putting the GEM in is no big deal, i've had mine out before, i just has a couple of small screws holding it in.

I broke down and am taking it to the dealer tomorrow morning. I have an extended service plan the dealer threw in to close the deal when I bought the truck, and of course it doesn't say anything about covering the GEM. I notice that whatever the problem is blowing fuse 27, which is a 15 amp fuse that is one of many linked to the GEM. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will be a short in the wiring harness (something that is covered). Of course I'm looking for any problems that I may have been ignoring since I have to pay the deductable now (wheel bearing slightly ticking).

Back