• Register Today It's free!

Head bolts, valve job

Blackdog

Reaction score
City, State
Zillah Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 F-150, 2006 Ranger
I'm doing a valve job on my 97 Ranger 3.0. Do the head bolts have to be replaced or can I reuse them?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know about the 3.0 engine, but on a 4.0 OHV they are torque to yeild bolts. That means replace them.. Soo, you need to check if they are torque to yield. Normally the way to tell is by how your torque them. If you torque them by going to a specific torque and then going a certain amount of degrees afterward then its a torque to yield.

~Mark

I don't know about the 3.0 engine, but on a 4.0 OHV they are torque to yeild bolts. That means replace them.. Soo, you need to check if they are torque to yield. Normally the way to tell is by how your torque them. If you torque them by going to a specific torque and then going a certain amount of degrees afterward then its a torque to yield.

~Mark

OK, I'll get the bolts, head gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, anything else? Also, I have air, should I replace the "O" rings at the places it was disconnected? Is their such a thing as an "O" ring kit? It's gonna feel sooo nice to have a good running Ranger again!

According to AllData the headbolts are to be torqued to 59 lb-ft. Than they are to be backed off 360 degrees. I have never installed TTY bolts before as I'm still in the dark ages. This seems real loose for a head bolt. Any input?

Read that again, generally speaking on a TTY the bolts are torqued incrementally to their final value, than tightened an extra 90 deg. You can actually feel the bolts twist.

On the 4.0 OHV it's 44 ft/lb then 59 ft/lb then 90 deg.

Does anybody have a haynes/chilton for a 97 ranger 3.0?

Back