• Register Today It's free!

Head gasket leaking.

sherman

Reaction score
City, State
oregon city oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
91xlt
hello I have a leeking head gasket on the drivers side and tapping valves on the other side so i figure i will pull both heads and put in new gaskets all around and i would like some advice or a heads up on what to look out for . and could i get some info on how to fix tapping valves is it a matter of tighning down a rocker arm or somthing of that sort thanx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The pushrods and rocker wear, causing excessive clearance.

Make sure you get new head bolts as you cannot use the old ones since they are stretch bolts.

The rocker arm assembly isn't adjustable.. Its just 3 bolts that holds each assembly down.

For $181(Plus core) you can get two new sets of rocker arms, and 12 pushrods with hardened tips..

http://www.deltacam.com/index.php

If your thinking of changing the lifters, this is the time to do it as you MUST pull the heads to get them out BUT they are EXPENSIVE for lifters.

Usually the noise isn't caused by the lifters, its the wear on the rocker arm cups and the tips of the pushrods.

~Mark

Did the engine ever overheat badly? If so, you might consider getting the heads checked.

you sure its the gasket?how do you know its leaking?if you are getting leaking make sure to have the heads check its cheap and you sure dont want to do it twice!!go with the delta cams replacement also,they are good people.also you might want to clean your intake it will be very dirty!!here is a cheap place to get gaskets also,ive used them three time they just dont have the fancy rtv on it!!
without bolts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-9...ryZ33665QQihZ022QQitemZ350168128674QQtcZphoto
with head bolts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-9...ryZ33665QQihZ022QQitemZ350168128714QQtcZphoto

i think it,s the gasket becouse i noticed allot of white smoke (condinsation)and i noticed oil drops on the ground and when i crawled down there i saw allot of oil on my pan so i tracked it down to the driver,s side of the motor and i could see that both oil and coolent where leeking from the gasket dew to the milky white gray trail but i dont have oil in my coolent and viseversa and i dont think my head is warped becouse my rig has never overheated or even came close to it . less than a year ago i pulled this motor out of a 92 and put it in my 91 and the guy i bought the truck from said it belonged to his fatherinlaw and that the trany had gone out and he died before he could fix it so it had sat for along time the first time i changed the oil it looked like hersheys syrup it was so old so i think becouse of the down time the gaskets got brittle

Back