Head gasket leaking. Ford quoted $1000. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Head gasket leaking. Ford quoted $1000.

Fantasymon

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
I recently took my 2000 Explorer into a local repair shop that specializes in Ford products. They diagnosed my car and determined that my head gaskets are leaking on both sides. They quoted me $1300-$1500.

I called my local Ford dealership here in Tulsa and they quoted me about $975 to have it fixed.

I personally have no skills to do this myself, nor do I have the time. From what I have searched, $975 seems like a relatively fair price, especially from a dealership.

Does this seem like a good price and is there anything i need to be weary of such as making sure they machine the heads?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does this seem like a good price and is there anything i need to be weary of such as making sure they machine the heads?

Thanks!

I wouldn't think so if you go the dealer route. They have too much at stake as far as reputation goes. Which dealer in Tulsa?

$1000 from a dealer? wow thats cheap! I am skeptical... probably $1000 for just the parts...

Bob Hurley Ford in Tulsa.....Same place I bought the Explorer new 11 years ago.

Nope he said $975 for parts and labor. I too am a bit skeptical as it was a quote over the phone.

Bob Hurley Ford in Tulsa.....Same place I bought the Explorer new 11 years ago.

Nope he said $975 for parts and labor. I too am a bit skeptical as it was a quote over the phone.
I've dealt with Bob Hurley Ford when I worked for Tulsa Schools - they're straight shooters.

The big question is are they thinking its the gaskets or the heads? It is extremely rare to lose head gaskets and not the heads on the ohv motor. I cant comment on the sohc version though.
Also, last time I looked book time on replacing the heads on the 4.0 ohv motor was 11 hours and I would expext the sohc to be higher.

~Mark

I did mine 2 yrs ago, I pulled both heads, had them reconditioned. When I got it back together again, I had $ 1,023.24 in parts and materials. If you do just one head now you will be doing the other some time down the road. I now had have 165,000 on my 00XLT.

Back