Head gaskets 2003 ford explorer 4.0L | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Head gaskets 2003 ford explorer 4.0L

Byron Huntington

Reaction score
City, State
Willcox
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 ford Explorer
Are Head gaskets a common problem with the 03 explorer my daughter just bought this thing and it has a leak at the R/H head front outboard corner. I have removed the left hand head am removing the R/H Head right now. I am also replacing the timing chains and gears, with the exception of the R/H rear chain that would require removal of the engine or transmission.I intend to remove the R/H head with the cassette still in I removed only the top bolt and will attempt to slide it out over the rear cassette.
one tensioner bad front L/H. The cassettes all look good. Here's my Question (should I use copper coat spray on the new gaskets). I have some minor pitting on the block between the water jacket holes. Otherwise Head and block straight and level this is LH only waiting for new torque set to come it from Napa this afternoon in order to remove the RH Head. Also can anyone tell me how to post pictures? Thanks for any insight Byron

Pulled the other side there is some gap .004/.006 on the head Cant find anything in workshop manual or anyplace that gives a tolerance for this. Any insight from someone whos knows would be helpful
Thanks Byron

is it a 4.0 or 4.6?

Back